360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Jigging at Night

11K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Bolo 
#1 ·
Im planning to fish on a 24hr drift boat in broward. I know most people jig during the day. Has anyone had any luck at night too? Do you work the jig slower and is there a certain color you favor for night jigging. I've have hooked nice size Kingfish using a jighead ballyhoo rig at the Dry Tortugas.

#2 ·
I jig mostly at night - always at low light conditions. Jig slow to med/slow for YFT, fast for Kings and Ono. Blue, Blue/Chrome should be ur standard colors regardless day or night, other colors can be effective too. Get a variety of cool and pretty looking colors.

Good luck and don't be afraid to use wire at night as I still catch my share of YFT on wire.

#7 ·
I caught more tuna on jigs at night than daytime.
Guys who start tuna jigging for the first time, always think of glow jigs without exception when they jig at night.
However seasoned tuna jig fishermen rarely use glow jigs fo yft/lft/bft though I found blackfin love glow jigs.
I experiemted glow jigs for tuna and it worked, but they did not work better than normal non-glow jigs. No matter what scientists claim, I know tuna can see or sense the movement of jigs at night even jigs are not glow and non-glow jigs have more natural appearance as not many bait fish glows at night.

#8 ·
Bret, I don't use wire for tuna, it's just that when Kings are in the area and collecting my jigs, I am force to use wire.

Keep in mind I'm talking night fishing here and my personal experiences shows that hungry YF are not bothered by wire or by jig action as I have caught several while using single strand wire....trying to slow down cut offs from Kings.

#9 ·
I'll be using wire rig when Im out there. The Kingfish Mackeral are always in the area. It wont take long to deplete my inventory of jigs quick on mono. :)

Ty's tuna is nice size. Where we will be drifting I doubt we will run into any YFT. For sure some Blackfins.

BretABaker, if you tie your wire to the split ring wouldnt the jig still be able to give the same action? Using #5 single strand wire.

G
#10 ·
i wouldnt tie anything to a split ring if i had the choice...but as far as action? i just think the wire itself would affect the overall movement...but you can always test it to try :)

when tuna are very hungry and there is a hot bite you can catch them on almost anything...that isnt hard. but when theyre picky you cant be using heavy lines and leaders. more often than not i've been in a picky bite rather than a wide open bite. if your experience is the opposite then i need to fish with you more bc thats lucky :D

also...im talking about yellowfin or bluefin here. i dont care about blackfin. theyll hit anything.

#12 ·
Actually my last 2 YFs was on a slow bite that even Blackfins were hard to come by but the Kings were chomping at everything.

Bonus catch for sure as YF was not targeted species. Lucky? Yes, works for everyone. Hard work and persistence get you the fish too as everyone were inside sleeping or too sick to fish, hehehe.

I always thought that fish will eat a bait because they were simply hungy regardless if on an open bite or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.