American made spinning reels

Discussion in 'Reels' started by MikeF, Dec 16, 2011.

1. MikeF

MikeF Senior Member

First I love my Stella's but I have decided that from now on I will buy American made fishing tackle where possible. I do not wish to turn this into a political discussion not is it an attempt to force my beliefs on anyone else. i am not anti-trade nor xenophobic; I just think I need to do my small part to help bring about balanced trade.

Cost not being an object who do you think makes the best made-in-America spinning tackle and why?

2. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

penn torque spin?? i have been thinking the same thing. accurate twinspin?

3. mandaragat

mandaragat Member

Twinspins for me. Battle-tested.

4. Courtland

Courtland Site Sponsor

Love me some accurate conventionals. Spinning, not so much. I just order 3 Van Staal's and hope to punish them this winter in NC. I have a small one that has been every where with me for over 10 years. It looks better than my 2 year old Shimano's. Not sure about the parts origin, but they are shipping out of Oklahoma.

5. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

I've been debating this and may buy at least one Van Staal this year, if it works out there will be a few stellas for sale on here next tuna season

6. bingfish

bingfish Senior Member

Keep an eye out for the Canyon Spinning Reel DJR6500 early next year. Prototypes are getting pretty good reviews.

7. mythosbeer

mythosbeer Senior Member

Well, the van staal would be disqualified if you are looking for an American made spinning reel. Van staal now imports their reels from China. I don't think the quality went down at all but they are no longer "made in America"

8. bottom line

bottom line Senior Member

penn torque spin?? i have been thinking the same thing. accurate twinspin?
    Aren't the Penns made in China now also? Not much made in America these days. :(

9. MikeF

MikeF Senior Member

Well so far it looks like my two options are Accurate and Penn. I'll do a little more research and see. The reviews on the Penn Torque seem pretty good. Made I'll buy one to replace a Stella 8000 and see how it does and buy an Accurate to replace another one.

As for the Canyon reels, I thought they were assembled in America with "internationally sourced" parts.

10. bingfish

bingfish Senior Member

I believe you're looking at Accurate and Avet if that's your standard. I'm pretty sure Penn has gone to China too.

11. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

the accurate are nice,
    the SR20 is the perfect size for our waters, for all but the BIG 200# bruisers.
    and is close in size to the 8000stella.

12. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

Aren't the Penns made in China now also? Not much made in America these days. :(

Just to clarify, the "threshold' for "Made in USA" on Penn reels is at $249.
    A total of 34 different reel models, plus a couple of bail options and numerous color options.
    The only US-made SPINNING reels are the Penn Torques and the Accurates.

Disclaimer- affiliated

13. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

I believe you're looking at Accurate and Avet if that's your standard. I'm pretty sure Penn has gone to China too.

Please see above post.

14. tim5485

tim5485 Senior Member

Wow those canyon reels look awesome

15. MikeF

MikeF Senior Member

Thanks guys, the Penn Torque and the Accurate are what I will look at. The Canyon seems nice but it seems to be more of a replacement for a Saragosa than a Stella and I don't think it's made in America, I believe it's assembled here. I will make sure I post my thoughts (un-affiliated, LOL) after I use them.

16. Courtland

Courtland Site Sponsor

I have a 9/10 cosmetic, 10/10 performance SR-20. It just came back from a full Accurate service. I'd let go for $500 if you're looking for a deal.

17. AdhekUSA

AdhekUSA Senior Member

There is one more made in USA Spinning reel. Zeebaas just came back here to make reels!

18. Get'n Jiggy

Get'n Jiggy Ultimate Warrior

I've been waiting on Avet to come out with it's spinner. I heard it will be out this spring(2012) at the Fred Hall Show or one of the big tackle shows. :D

19. MikeF

MikeF Senior Member

Thanks Courtland but I think I'll start with a new one.

Do any of you guys have the newer Zeebaas and how do you like it. I'm thinking a ZX2-22 bailed in black with the power handle.

20. thunder5l

thunder5l Senior Member