Photo
- - - - -

The jigstrong chronicles, episode 1

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:22 AM

Had the jigstrong crew aboard today, along with Big Al and the twins to be sure we had enough firepower to handle these bruiser fish up here in beeyoutiful Cape Cod MA.

Met Shoe, Al, Andy, and Dude at 4 am sharp, and these guys were ready to rock. We got off the dock early, and headed out into the gloom. The fog was pea soup thick, and remained that way all day just about. We started off up on the bank, and immediately we were into a very good area, with birds, bait, whales, and even chuck, who was showing up quite well on the machine despite his reluctance to make an actual visual appearance for us at the surface. We watched the crew of the castafari come tight right off our transom on a kite bait, and they ended up taking the fish as it was over the 73" benchmark. We also saw a few other boats hook up on the live bait, and these fish were also in the larger variety. Despite really working the jigs, we couldnt entice one of these mama tuna to eat any metal, and the life slowly dried up to nothing after an hour. At this point the fog was really hanging low on the water, and we slowly cruised likely areas looking for signs of life. ran into a huge bait ball just off the edge, and we chased a few pods of tuna around all to no avail. These fish have been very difficult to fool, and spooky schools that pop up and are gone like ghosts again has been the general trend.

We did hook into a few bruiser striped bass, as well as big alligator bluefish that had to be about 16 or 17 pounds!

The day was slow going, but the guys never got dejected. We had a greewat time busting each other and eating a bit of Andy's awesome thai food(well actually I ate most of it) when we finally got a break. Rich from Black Rose had gone in one direction, I had gone in another, and Capt. Mike from SWAT Charters went another. That's when we got the call from Mike around 2PM that he had found a few pods of tuna and was in them thick. Amped up on Liquid Ice energy drinks, we were all poised and ready despite the long, slow day.

Richie and I pointed the boats and made the 6 mile run from opposite directions, arriving on scene at almosty the same time. We were able to choose different pods, and all 3 boats set about the task of trying to get these notoriousl;y finicky bay fish to feed. They were in tight schools, breezing and pushing water, and every now and then coming up and slashing or rolling. The birds were on them, but they too had trouble staying on them as these fish were mioving briskly and not staying up all that long.

The guys put some casts into the first good school that stayed up a bit longer, with fish right at the bow. NO love as they appeared to be on micro bait, so I made everyone change out lures for the next shot. I made some suggestions on what I thought might work, and the guys paid attention, putting really small lures on and getting ready in record time.

The next school didnt make us wait long, and the very first cast with his Tackle House INT 45 Big Al and the twins came tight.

Al did everything right on this fish, got him to eat, set the hook, followed the fish down the rail and away from the engine legs, then this fish got VERY angry and burned off a run that took half the spool on the big Stella, only to come undone. I immediately asked Al to show me the line, as I had a sick feeling that once again we had a failure of some sort on the gear. Sure enough, the line came back and the Page Ranking Knot had failed. I was pretty colorful in my language, and we re rigged Al with one of my wind-ons, along with Dude who was already sporting one on his as he showed up with a 3 foot leader as well. Can't tell you how sick I am of working hard all day, having an angler work hard and get the bite finally, only to lose a quality fish to a failure of the gear. Its hard enough to keep these fish buttoned without having line, leader, or equipment break. The leader system is something that the angler has complete control over, though, so it stings even worse. I hate seeing a guy I like, do nothing wrong(other than choose a knot in the first place with a fullproof wind on system available) and still lose his fish.

Enough with that, I will address this elsewhere and at another time, so back to the Jigstrong boys.

We got another shot a few moments later, I put the boat on the right side of an approaching school that seemed to be feeding, and instantly Dude and Andy came tight on a fish. Both guys set the hook, and they were off to the races. Immediately the lines came together, so I had the guys switch sides and had one guy reel, but the lines dint come together, so it was then I guessed correctly that these two guys werer tied into the very same fish. Our double turned into a tag team single quite quickly, and the Jigstrong boys put the boots to this fish in the very first performance by the synchronized tuna fighting team! The rods were doubled over in unison, keeping perfect time to each other, and we quickly had the fish boatside, and tail wrapped. After imploring the guys to keep the tail in the water after I got drenched by his propeller(always keep the tail wrapped fish completely in the water, never pull him up high enough where the tail breaks the surface or all hell will break loose and youll probably lose him) they complied and gently guided him to the boat. Nice healthy fish.
Very long day, but persistence paid off big time. We got 2 quality hookups and a few other near misses to end up 1 for 2 on the day. The guys stayed with it all day long, blind casting and jigging away like there was no tommorrow. When the fishing is tough like that, it is the hard working and patient crew that gets rewarded. The bay fish are notoriously difficult at best, so congrats to the guys for having the right stuff to get a bite. Great times with a great crew, and lots of laughs all around.

I do not have any pictures, but I am sure the guys will be posting some very shortly.

#2 sami G

sami G

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:57 AM

Congrat to all the guys:)

#3 paul708

paul708

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:06 AM

nice work.
congrats.

#4 Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:07 AM

That is how you get it done Dom. Persistence and a willingness to tell the crew what they are doing wrong and make them change things up. You are the chit dude!

#5 JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:38 AM

great job JS!

Just curious to know how many Rods/Reels you bring with you on a Trip either local or traveling?

so many that you get those looks from others like "WTF is he doing"

#6 SynitUsa

SynitUsa

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:23 AM

Great Job Crew!! Im jealous i couldnt be there with you having all that fun! Great work Getting them on the fish Capt. Dom.

#7 fishingeek

fishingeek

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:57 AM

What an awesome day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The fish were as finicky as my Wife is some days :D

Shoe, Anuvat and Dude..........enjoyed fishing with you guys again!!!!!

Capt Dom....you are an incredible Capt and work for fish like nobody else.

Guys, If you come to the Cape just know that there are some really BIG fish out there and the slightest little weakness in your setup will cause you to lose the trophy of a lifetime.....I learned that lesson the hard way.

If you want to catch a CC Monster then there are 3 SIMPLE rules.....

1. Listen to Capt Dom
2. Listen to Capt Dom
3. Listen to Capt Dom

It pays to be in shape as well.....bring your twins :D

Thank you again guys.....let's do it again.......REAL SOON!!!!
You can call me....Al.

#8 fishingeek

fishingeek

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:57 AM

What an awesome day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The fish were as finicky as my Wife is some days :D

Guys, If you come to the Cape just know that there are some really BIG fish out there and the slightest little weakness in your setup will cause you to lose the trophy of a lifetime.....I learned that lesson the hard way.

1. Listen to Capt Dom
2. Listen to Capt Dom
3. Listen to Capt Dom

You can call me....Al.

#9 toppuntawong

toppuntawong

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:01 AM

hahaha... I am sure the knot is fine but AL and the "TWINS" are too strong!!! LOL! Great report Capt Dom!

#10 shoefish

shoefish

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:25 AM

Another great day in the books with great friends, and I can't wait to do it again.

If anyone wants to know how to catch a giant in 15 minutes, just ask Anuvat and Dude about the Stella 28000SW...it's the heat!

#11 Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

1. Listen to Capt Dom
2. Listen to Capt Dom
3. Listen to Capt Dom

Al, That fish was a true monster, much bigger than the one we took. You did everyting right, including having yourself in shape and ready to tango.

I am still smarting from watxching you lose the fish of a lifetime to that knot. Your willingness to listen to what I thought they might eat paid off in spades. You looked into your tackle bag and pulled out the perfect lure based on what my opinion was on these particular fish. First cast, two twitches, and game on. Way to get it done on some really finicky fish.

#12 JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:35 AM

Another great day in the books with great friends, and I can't wait to do it again.

If anyone wants to know how to catch a giant in 15 minutes, just ask Anuvat and Dude about the Stella 28000SW...it's the heat!

hahah the 28000SW I like that.

Just curious to know how many Rods/Reels you bring with you on a Trip either local or traveling?

#13 Anuvat

Anuvat
  • LocationLongiland

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:40 AM

Now that was a tough day on the water! The morning started out with big stripers on just about every drop and every cast but it all died down quick, with the fog setting in it made for a very long morning. It was awesome to see Al hook up later in the afternoon and see half his Yumeya spool was gone in a blink of an eye. We were all pretty beaten when his line gave out but Al stayed in good spirit. When we got on to the last pod, Mike and I both saw a few fish boiling from left to right so we both made our casts to cut them off. I guess Mike's unweighted sluggo and my Souls Bomber 9 looked to be a good value meal as I felt the bite, setting the hook 6-7 times then seeing Mike doing the same. We were pretty happy to get a double hook up. Then it seemed our lines were crossed and made the necessary move to get that corrected. At first when someone called out that we might be hooked on the same fish we both disagreed and kept denying so until both of our rods would bend at the exact time and slacked at the same time, zzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz zzzzzzzz zz zzz zzzzz..... we looked at each other and just laughed. Tag teaming was on. If there was a category for synchronized fishing in the Olympic I think we would have placed a metal. Trying to concentrate on a fish while laughing was actually pretty hard:) Somewhere between 15-20 minutes the magnificent creature fell victim to our TRS and Ocea BFT rods paired up with the prototype Stella SW28K (18&10). Sorry for giving you a shower Dom, I guess the adrenaline had the best of us at that point.

-Shoe, it was awesome to finally fish with you. Bro you are one fishy dude! You know your way around the boat and fish, no doubt about it! Thanks for the great time on the water, I'll make sure to be more awake next time. Can't wait for the video:)
-Al, you will sure to get him next time. The fish can run abut they can't hide too long from your twins and when they do I feel sorry for that fish. It's always a real pleasure to fish with you and hope to do it again real soon. -Dom, what can I say. You sure didn't quit on us. 13 hrs on the water is a long time for a charter captain and we didn't even have to ask, your drive to find fish for us is unparalleled . Thanks for another great day on the water and keeping the streak alive.
-Mike, when I said I wanted to fish with you I definitely did not have this in mind LMAO. Another memory goes down in the book and looking forward to doing it again soon bro.

Didn't take too many pics due to the fog but here are a few:

Getting ready
Posted Image

This seemed to be what the bass were feeding on.
Posted Image

Mike on a morning striper bite.
Posted Image

The syncro team.(Great shots Al)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
http://i48.photobuck...-t/DSC_5332.jpg
http://i48.photobuck...-t/DSC_5344.jpg

#14 fishingeek

fishingeek

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

hahah the 28000SW I like that.

Shoe,

Wasn't that the new 36000SW? 18000+18000=36000 :D
You can call me....Al.

#15 A.whitman

A.whitman

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

what was the small lure? so we all can rush out and buy them all!!!lol

#16 A.whitman

A.whitman

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

Andy, what camera , lens?

#17 JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

Andrew, Capt Dom posted it already. Tacklehouse Flitz 45 INT

#18 A.whitman

A.whitman

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

o. thanks

#19 Anuvat

Anuvat
  • LocationLongiland

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

Mike used an unweighted Sluggo in pink and I had the Souls Bomber9. Al had his on a pink Tacklehouse 45INT. Funny part is when the fish was landed both hooks had fallen out but yet both hooks were tangled on each other.

Camera is my very beat up Nikon D70 with a Sigma 10-20mm lens.

#20 JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

andy!! did you use one of your Bombers with the blade on the rear? Or were you using two hooks? I miss Chan Pen :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users