Photo
- - - - -

Daiwa Saltiga vs. Shimano Stella

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:10 AM

I really need to get a premium, top end spinning reel before the upcoming Tuna Popping Season. I currently am considering a Daiwa Dogfight, or Shimano Stella (20000 or 18000). Can I get some input on pros / cons of each? Which one would you buy and why? Obviously this is a big purchase and I want to make the right decision. Thanks in advance guys.

#2 gman

gman

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:32 AM

IMHO the Shimano Stella is much more refined and has been recently upgraded for casting. The spool lip has been redesigned for optimal line lay and casting distance. It says a lot when Sami from Anglers Pro Shop who is a huge Dogfight supporter switches to Stellas. The fact is the dogfight needs an update and hasnt had one in a while

We cast the Cape all season long and you can get away with either the Stella 10000HG or XG or the 18000HG. Personally I use the 18000 and have lived by the analogy of I would rather fight medium to larger fish on a big reel than a small reel for when that bruiser comes along

With a stella of that size, a good casting rod and 20 pounds of drag you should land most Cape Cod Tuna within 10 minutes

If you want an honest answer to your dogfight versus Stella debate call Anglers Pro Shop, ask for Sami he will give you his thoughts they sell both

#3 fish4stripers

fish4stripers

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:27 AM

check out Alan Hawk's reviews:

Shimano Stella SW : The Review - SurfTalk

Saltiga Z 6000: The Review - SurfTalk

#4 ksong

ksong

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

We have strong supporters for Stella in the US, but Saltiga reels are as popular as Stella reels in Japan.
It is believed that the Saltiga has much stronger internal parts and is well designed. I read Accurate got many ideas not from Stella, but from Saltiga when they started to make Twinspin spinning reels.

#5 Enoch

Enoch

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

We have strong supporters for Stella in the US, but Saltiga reels are as popular as Stella reels in Japan.
It is believed that the Saltiga has much stronger internal parts and is well designed. I read Accurate got many ideas not from Stella, but from Saltiga when they started to make Twinspin spinning reels.

Although. The bail is distinctively saltiga style right?

#6 jiggawhat

jiggawhat

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

Whats up with the expedition anyone give it a try?

#7 lordhell

lordhell
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

Expedition is same as Z6000 except it has deeper spool, different handle knob, and different color scheme.

#8 jiggawhat

jiggawhat

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:12 PM

oh thats it.Is it the same size as the10k stella?

#9 lordhell

lordhell
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

It's similar in size to the 10kFA, not the 2008 10kSW. 2008 10kSW is closer in size to the 4000/4500 saltigas. The expedition and z6000 saltigas are same class reels as the 20kFA and 20kSW.

#10 rtran

rtran

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

I'm going with daiwa dogfight for my my GT setup.
I have a stella sw 18000 for bluefin/yft casting
I like the stella for the little more line capacity against tuna.

#11 jiggawhat

jiggawhat

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:47 PM

i have been reading about the two and read more stories of the saltiga breaking or locking up more than the stella. Anyone have any breakage problems?

#12 tmd

tmd

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

check out Alan Hawk's reviews:

Shimano Stella SW : The Review - SurfTalk

WOW!! thank you vy much for the link

#13 SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:24 AM

Thank you very much for the input Guys. I am leaning towards the Stella SW, but not commited at this point. Alan Hawk's link was a very good read by the way. Quite thorough.

#14 ksong

ksong

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:28 AM

i have been reading about the two and read more stories of the saltiga breaking or locking up more than the stella. Anyone have any breakage problems?

I have Stella 20000 and 8000 and both have to be sent to Shimano for repairs.

#15 Jason4606

Jason4606

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:56 AM

Think most issues have been due to stickiness, high starting drag, etc. of stock drag washers. Guessing that many could have been prevented with a set of Carbontex.

It really is a tough call, and don't think you can go wrong either way.

Stella SW is beautiful, it's the latest and greatest, and it has good support and a good following in US.

But I really, really like the solid, simple Saltiga too... (6000GT has unreal cranking power for a hi speed reel.) Just wish Daiwa would announce a sexy new model too! ;)

#16 Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

Whats up with the expedition anyone give it a try?

I have one and its very nice. $250 less than SW off ebay. I am very satisfied, but don't use it a lot. If they had been priced the same, I would have considered both. But for that much less, I couldn't justify it. If I only used spinners, there may have been other considerations. With the round handle that comes stock, you actually hold it straight up when fighting a fish, almost like rowing a boat, instead of from the side of the handle.
Vertical Jigs @ Eastern Tackle <---Click Here

#17 jiggawhat

jiggawhat

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

Eastern i sent you a pm.

#18 Guest_BretABaker_*

Guest_BretABaker_*

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:52 PM

I have one and its very nice. $250 less than SW off ebay. .

i wouldve made this choice with these two options as well. i just got the deal of the century on a 20000 FA though :)

i would really like to try the expedition or dogfight just to be able to compare side by side.

#19 jiggawhat

jiggawhat

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

Are there any other deals for 20k available?

#20 Guest_BretABaker_*

Guest_BretABaker_*

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:01 PM

FA or SW? ive seen some SWs pop up for under 800 which is a good deal. as far as FA i have no idea i stumbled onto this by chance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users