- - - - -

Penn VSX16 vs. Okuma Makaira MK20 vs. Avet Raptor5/2

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Inspiro

Inspiro

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:51 AM

Hi all
I'm considering buying a new reel for trolling, will be using braid with a topshot
Biggest expected fish will be mediterranian BFT up to 200 lb(if I'm lucky to go there), but most fishing will be coral fish(GTs, Baraccudas, King mackerel, snappers, YFT, groupers)to 60 lb or so

I'm comparing four two speed reels
1) Penn International VSX16
2)Okuma Makaira MK-20
3)Avet Raptor 5/2(medium width model)
4)Shimano Tiagra 16 or 20

I don't know which is a better overall reel,
I like the compactness and the light weight of the avet, which make it usable for jigging as well.

Thanks in advance
Inspiro

Edited by Inspiro, 13 May 2012 - 05:30 AM.

#2 BdaJay

BdaJay

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

Why not a Tiagra? I'm yet to find a better trolling reel.

#3 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:28 AM

Take a look at the Makaira MK15II also.

#4 Inspiro

Inspiro

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:28 AM

Why not a Tiagra? I'm yet to find a better trolling reel.

For no apparent reason, I'm open to suggestions, added

#5 Inspiro

Inspiro

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:36 AM

MK15 line capacity is much less than what I like(not necessarily need!!), I'm leaning towards size 16-20.
I'm still used to old Senator 9/0, so downsizing has its limits for me at the current stage!!!

Inspiro

#6 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

The 15 is a reel you can jig with, and I know capt Rich of the Black Rose has caught some big BFT on it as well. Just a thought.

#7 Inspiro

Inspiro

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

The 15 is a reel you can jig with, and I know capt Rich of the Black Rose has caught some big BFT on it as well. Just a thought.

Thanks for your thought ReelMe
Personally I like the Makaira reel very much, and being abel to jig with that reel is a definite plus though it is not the main purpose
BUT, from my personal point of view, I believe the MK-15 is very wide for good line lay while jigging, also I think the line retrieve is on the slow side

Any how this is just my theoritical notes, how would you rate the MK15 against the avet??

Inspiro

#8 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:12 AM

The Avet raptor is right there with the top reels.

#9 joe1234

joe1234

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

What line class are you going with for the top shot.

One thing to consider is the fine adjustments are important when trolling to hold the lure in the spread but still keep it reasonably low. I know king mac have a softer mouth then some of the other fish you mentioned.

#10 Inspiro

Inspiro

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

One thing to consider is the fine adjustments are important when trolling to hold the lure in the spread but still keep it reasonably low

Dear Joe, kindly clarify

I usually use 0.7mm mono(50lb)

#11 joe1234

joe1234

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

Well most lever drags have a drag curve that starts a 0 and goes to the max say 25lbs. Some of those curves or more aggressive then other. Some have a nice gradual curve 2, 4, 8, 10, 15lbs etc... others jump more 6, 10,15 to 25.

When trolling you may need 3 lbs to hold the lure were you want it while trolling but do not want it to be set at 15 just to keep it there.

I have a tiagra 16 if I set the strike at 18lbs I lose all lower drag range control. As soon as you put the lever out of free spool it goes to 6 lbs.
On the same reel if you set strike to 15 lbs then you are still able to keep minor adjustments of the drag range ( say 2, 3, 4lbs). Make sense? These numbers are just for example not actual facts.

Tiagras are great trolling reels but they are not light. It would be best if budget allows to have specific jigging and trolling setups.

Most people here in the GOM fishing king mac use only 3 to 6lbs of drag. Not sure if your king mac and ours are the same. Good luck with your search there are many here with more experience then I.

Edited by joe1234, 13 May 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#12 carlosburitica

carlosburitica

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

i use penn 16vxs. love the reel i am very happy and confident. downside the arm is very short and you loose cranking ability. weight ans strength are on sweet side. couple of plastic parts on the lever wind makes it look cheap but is a good reel

i think the makaira has a better drag out the box and has a lower gear ratio. i played with the reel a little, looks really more solid than the vsx and saw a lot of good reviews of the reel.

about size, now that you will be using braid all the reel that you mentioned hold 500 or more line plus the top shot. if you used to use a 9/0 with 90 line, use a 12, 15 or 16 size with 60 pound braid. (very important to have it professionally spooled, to prevent line digging when using 60 pound line). if you were using a senator and 50 mono iu asume your drag settings were in the 12 to 15 range, you don't need more at strike for trolling any ways unless you are using big diving plus at hi speed that drag a lot force. and your fishing rods may be not capable to handle 25+ drag if using 80 or 100 line. changing to braid and smaller reel is difficult some time since you will feel that you are going to get spooled, be confident that modern technology made than happen and now smaller reels can handle more than the old big 30's and 50w's could 10 years ago.

reel me added a point get a smaller reel that you can also jig with, deep drop and make it a multi task reel.

#13 a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

IMO the Shimano Tiagra is the better reel of the ones listed. I have Internationals and Tiagras and always favor the Tiagras. As far as the 16 or 20 that is up to you. Both are close in line capacity, the weight difference may be a factor if using to jig. The 16 is approx 38oz and the 20 is approx 50oz, another choice is drag on the 16 is around 22Lbs at strike which I thing should be fine for your targeted fish, and the 20 is around 30Lbs.

#14 conchydong

conchydong

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Its hard to find a combination trolling/ jigging reel. Two different animals IMO. Tiagras are great trolling reels for their intended line class. The smaller Makairas have great freespool for livebait fishing, and may be a maintenance issue for a primary trolling reel as the spool bearings are oiled instead of greased.
The Raptor, I assume an HX, like the Makaira is also designed as a live bait heavy drag reel and the drag curves may be steep for trolling.

Get a trolling reel and a jigging reel and you will be much happier in the long run.
Thats is what I would do.

#15 skxf430

skxf430

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

with 50lb mono, the Mak 15 won't have enough capacity. Their size 15 is on the small side and the Mak 20 is closer to a 30 narrow.

Both the Penn and Shimano would be great choices as they have a bit more size and can still fly line a bait.

No real losers in your potential choices.

#16 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

with 50lb mono, the Mak 15 won't have enough capacity. Their size 15 is on the small side and the Mak 20 is closer to a 30 narrow.

Both the Penn and Shimano would be great choices as they have a bit more size and can still fly line a bait.

No real losers in your potential choices.

MK 15 takes 600yds of 100lb braid. Take some off for a topshot. Definately plenty of capacity for the fish descibed in this thread.

#17 Inspiro

Inspiro

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'm not looking for a dual purpose reel,I just thought the raptor can be a nice double edged weapon mainly because of its light weight and narrow width; it seems I wasn't very clear
offcourse jigging with the penn, the tiagra or the makaira in sizes 16 or more is out of question for me

As for trolling,having a sensitive drag (from 15 to 25 lb)is one of the main reasons why im moving from star drag reels
so being able to precisely work the drag is important especially at the not so heavy lines we use

it seems the tiagra fulfills this, while the 5/2 raptor dont
what about the makaira and the penn fine adjustability?

Inspiro

#18 joe1234

joe1234

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hey I can not answer you questions on the MAK or 16vsx but I have a Penn 12 vsx and it is nice and gradual if you set the drag at strike between 10lbs & 15lbs. I got close to 600 of 60 jb hollow on it with room for a 50' top shot. The drag does not seem quite as smooth as my shimanos, or Makaira but that could just be mine and this is the only one I have.

As for Tiagra look on Shimano's site. These are their ideal number you & can always bump them up but if you bump them up too much there is a risk of losing the lower end finer adjustments.
Tiagra A Series

http://fish.shimano....gra_series.html

I have heard rumor that Makaira sold in AU have the option of two different cams but not sure how factual that is. One was more aggressive then the other.

You could always call the Repair departments of the reels you are interested in and ask them as I am sure they would know. I know Tuna north on here was affiliate with Penn.

Edited by joe1234, 13 May 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#19 jurys in

jurys in

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

Check out the talica 20II or 25II. I personally know a lot of guys that have replaced their tiagra 30 with the talicas here in the gom. Can't comment on the okuma or penn because penn I personally hate and I haven't had the chance to fish the okuma yet.

#20 Inspiro

Inspiro

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

I'm not looking for a dual purpose reel,I just thought the raptor can be a nice double edged weapon mainly because of its light weight and narrow width; it seems I wasn't very clear
offcourse jigging with the penn, the tiagra or the makaira in sizes 16 or more is out of question for me

As for trolling,having a sensitive drag (from 15 to 25 lb)is one of the main reasons why im moving from star drag reels
so being able to precisely work the drag is important especially at the not so heavy lines we use

it seems the tiagra fulfills this, while the 5/2 raptor dont
what about the makaira and the penn fine adjustability?

Inspiro

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users