- - - - -

JB Decade warning???

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

Anyone seen the warning on charkbait? Anyone know what the problem is?

here is a copy and paste of it.

NEW DECADE
Hollow Core JB Multi Colored Line Counter Spectra
*03/07/12 Please do NOT purchase this product at the present time. JB's had some issues with their Decade line, and the design is not "right," use of so many colors (10) makes it hard to use the product. I suggest use of Momoi for this style product. We will soon have another option available,
for now - GO MOMOI Verifier
- Mark

#2 Warsaw

Warsaw

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

I have had way too many issues with the momoi braid. I am in the process of removing it from all my bait reels. I love their mono but the braid seems to break very easily after it has been used slightly.

#3 a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

How can Charkbait say not to purchase this line without saying what the issues are with JB Decade. I use, and will continue to use JB line, maybe the issue for some is counting past four all the way to ten? I have never had JB line fail or disappoint in any way. I'm sure we'll hear from Basil about this so called issue.

#4 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

I have already PM'd Basil about this issue. I am actually about ready to send him a reel or 2 and I wanted to spool them with the decade line since the price is only 10% more than the regular JBHC.

#5 a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Great ReelMe! My thought exactly. Hope Basil is around to comment?

#6 AdhekUSA

AdhekUSA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

I think that you hit the nail on the head:)

How can Charkbait say not to purchase this line without saying what the issues are with JB Decade. I use, and will continue to use JB line, maybe the issue for some is counting past four all the way to ten? I have never had JB line fail or disappoint in any way. I'm sure we'll hear from Basil about this so called issue.

#7 JohnTFT

JohnTFT

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

The original problem with the line is the colors bleeded into each other. Deep within the spool the line would be very discolored as a result of the coloring bleeding out.
It was a big issue and I stopped using it for that reason. The quality of JB's products was never the issue rather the coloring process wasnt working well.

I am not sure what the current problem is other than you cant get it. Jerry has been out of it for quite some time. The Momoi product is a nice product. The line is flat which adds some difficulty in spooling it correctly.

I like the Western Filament Guide Choice Indicator Hollow. Its round. The new colors are very bright and it has only 3 colors every 10' apart. Count every third color and you have gone 30'. The line is very nice to splice as well.

Edited by JohnTFT, 24 March 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#8 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

Basil did mention to me yesterday that the only cons of the decade line were possible bleeding. He did mention splicing. l I did specifically ask him about the cons of the decade vs the regular jbhc. From Basil- "Cons are, it's a little harder to splice and the color may bleed over extended time."

#9 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

Great ReelMe! My thought exactly. Hope Basil is around to comment?

lol what can I say? I do my best research witha glass of sky next to me(gave up the Grey goose guys, good but I can buy a few reels a year at that price lol!!)

#10 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

The original problem with the line is the colors bleeded into each other. Deep within the spool the line would be very discolored as a result of the coloring bleeding out.
It was a big issue and I stopped using it for that reason. The quality of JB's products was never the issue rather the coloring process wasnt working well.

I am not sure what the current problem is other than you cant get it. Jerry has been out of it for quite some time. The Momoi product is a nice product. The line is flat which adds some difficulty in spooling it correctly.

I like the Western Filament Guide Choice Indicator Hollow. Its round. The new colors are very bright and it has only 3 colors every 10' apart. Count every third color and you have gone 30'. The line is very nice to splice as well.

John,
I really dont need the indicator type line but for only 10% more, I figured Id get it, If its equal in performance. Should I just buy the JBHC and not the decade?

#11 Sea Bear

Sea Bear
  • LocationStaten Island/Brooklyn, NY

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

They should call it JB 1x instead of 10x, since that is what you have after one season.

Tuf Line Indicator doesn't seem to have the same bleeding issue. Problem is, colors changing every 10 feet is wayyy too cluttered and effectively worthless for depth calculating.

I'm gradually switching everything back to plain old white. Will mark every 100' with a black permanent marker and see how that goes.

#12 Terminator Tackle

Terminator Tackle

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

JB did have an Issue for a few months.. Instead of the Line changing colors every 10 Meters, It was every 10 feet.. This issue has been resolved with JB.
Captain Joe
TERMINATOR TACKLE
* Custom Jigging & Popping Rods
* Reels
* Jigs & Poppers
* Reel Knobs
* Blanks
* Rod Building Components

***Authorized Jigging Master Dealer***
Shop Online Now!!
www.TerminatorTackle.com
Have A Question? Give us a Call Toll Free @
(855) My-Tackle

#13 day0ne

day0ne

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:45 PM

How can Charkbait say not to purchase this line without saying what the issues are with JB Decade. .

He is saying to not purchase it from his web site, meaning don't click the button, you won't get it. I've seen things like this on his site before. It's easier than redoing the whole web page, since he will be selling it in the future. I also believe he alludes to the problem having to do with the colors and changes JB is making to improve it

#14 JohnTFT

JohnTFT

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

ReelMe (sorry I dont know your first name!) You are baitfishing and trolling with your MAK 20 and 30 correct? There is no need for indicator line in that application. I would just go with the white line. If you feel you need the indicator line have Basil splice in 150 yards of indicator.

JB has not had the line for quite some time. It has nothing to do with line quality. Whoever is making it to JB specs is having a problem making it to JB's specs! There are other products out right now that are doing a good job with the indicator.

I never liked decade. Every reel I filled with it I had a customer complain about the coloring. I sell quite a bit of Western Filament indicatior with no issues.
Basil has had less issues with decade than I have (he has secret spectra powers you know!).
I will give him a call today if he doesnt see this and ask him to chime in with his thoughts.

#15 FullStrike

FullStrike

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

I use JB Decade on some of my jigging rods and have never had an issue. I have had no problem splicing it and I find the color retention to not be an issue. Interesting that this problem surfaces while Jerry is on an 18 day offshore adventure and unable to respond himself. I will be speaking to him when he gets back later this week and I will get the rest of the story from the source and not some distributor like Charkbait.

Edited by FullStrike, 25 March 2012 - 06:41 AM.

#16 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

Thanks guys,
I was planning on using it on the 30 because I thought it might come in handy for dropping dead bait(shark fishing) down to a certain depth but it isnt crucial.

#17 joe1234

joe1234

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

The way I understand is that no spectra holds color dye very well but that is an issue with the material itself not one manufacture over another.

As for splicing if you wet the line it is alot easer to splice. Basil told me this and it is true. If you have a cup of water next to were you are working and dip the line in it every few inches it makes it 5 x easier.

I have used JB H decade, Tuff line, & Boat Braid. My least favorite is Boat Braid.

I to am interested to hear what the issue is. I have had bad spots in JB Hollow White but luckily they are easy to fix. Someone around here mention the price of JB was going up as well.

Joe

Edited by joe1234, 25 March 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#18 thunder5l

thunder5l

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

I have heard that the Western Filament is the company makes JB.

#19 TPG

TPG

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Someone around here mention the price of JB was going up as well.

Joe

Price of spectra overall has gone up a little.

#20 Basil

Basil

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

Charkbait may be referring to the old Decade that had significant bleeding issues. The new stuff has been out for a couple of months and the colors are much brighter and defined. We will see how colorfast it is, I think it will be much better than the first gen Decade but as most of you know, all color on spectra is dyed and is always going to have some bleeding issues. You just are not that aware of it if the line is one solid color.

Charkbait may also be steering customers away from Decade because they can't get it! I have significant stock of the new Decade but Jerry has been out of stock for over a month so that's most likely why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users