Photo
- - - - -

Accurate BX2-30n

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 icculus81

icculus81

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

just purchased this reel. need some rod recommendations. def looking forward to fishing this reel.

Anyone else own or have experience with it?

#2 awashinsky1

awashinsky1
  • LocationFORT MYERS, FL

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

yea i got one its a great reel u can bottom fish troll has a little over 33lb of drag 2sp what more to u want

#3 Tidetraveller

Tidetraveller
  • LocationDE & NJ

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

it is a very versatile reel. I even jig with it and plan on bringing it to NC in a few weeks. 550 yds of 80# JB Hollow: 25#s at strike and 36#s at full. As far as a rod recommendation goes... what kind of fishing do you want to do with it?

#4 redrivermoon

redrivermoon

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

I have a like-new OTI Pathom Blade 500g that you can pair with your reel. Hehe.

#5 icculus81

icculus81

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

Well, I'm planning to use for jigging, throwing iron to Yellowtails, and live lining sardines...

I'm moving to Southern California in a month.

#6 Tuna Loco

Tuna Loco

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

Here is 2 videos of a marlin hooked at PSFL with the reel on a 500g OTI rod and a OTI jig and OTI hook.

Marlin2.MP4 - YouTube

Marlin.MOV - YouTube

#7 icculus81

icculus81

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

That sucks he bent the hook so close to getting the release. Where we you fishing? I have caught plenty of White Marlin, and a few Blues on the troll, but never jigging. Would love to catch a black Marlin though.

#8 Tuna Loco

Tuna Loco

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

It was at Panama Sportfishing Lodge. I think I recently saw a OTI Fathom Blade for sale here on 360.

#9 icculus81

icculus81

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

Would love to go to that lodge one day. Right now, I have a Black Hole Cape Cod 350g rod I was going to use for jigging. I need something longer though for casting iron or sardines.

#10 lite-liner

lite-liner

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

I'm moving to Southern California in a month.

... my deepest condolences.........................

might hold out for the new OTI ****sniper
8'/30#, weighs 9oz!! pulled on one today, & I might
need to sell my temple reef stk76h...........

Edited by lite-liner, 11 February 2012 - 07:59 PM.

#11 icculus81

icculus81

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

... my deepest condolences.........................

It's going to be really rough in Newport Beach with all the blonde girls, great food, warm weather, and some solid fishing. hahaha.

Definitely looking forward leaving DC, but I will miss striped bass, and White Marlin fishing all the time.

#12 awashinsky1

awashinsky1
  • LocationFORT MYERS, FL

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

as far as throwing iron with this reel...would not suggest that, not really a casting reel

#13 lite-liner

lite-liner

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

It's going to be really rough in Newport Beach with all the (fake, plastic, *****y) blonde girls, great(?) food, warm weather, and some solid corbina & surf perch fishing. hahaha.

Definitely looking forward leaving DC, but I will miss striped bass, and White Marlin fishing all the time.

whatever. hope you aren't too deeply disappointed. best of luck to you.

#14 icculus81

icculus81

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

whatever. hope you aren't too deeply disappointed. best of luck to you.

Your brutal guy...way to get me excited. Haha

#15 lite-liner

lite-liner

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

25 years in OC & the fact that I am now a happy Texan should tell you something....:)
seriously, it's a wonderful place. just don't let the people make you go postal.
hit up the boys @ Davey's for the Catalina trips, but don't bother bringing a fish bag......
no wait, I think you can still keep whitefish. the wedge is a great place to catch
barely legal halibut when the surf is weak.

BTW, Striper fishing as good or better than what you're doing now is just 4 hrs north
in the Sacramento river delta.

Edited by lite-liner, 11 February 2012 - 10:43 PM.

#16 icculus81

icculus81

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:41 PM

Don't the yellowtail come in around April and stay through the fall? I'm also planning on doing some long-range trips out of San Diego.

Glad there is some striper fishing out here. But it's gon a be hard to beat Lower Chesapeake Bay Striper action. I really killed them last year. 3 over 60lbs, and about 30 between 35-55 lbs.

#17 karlk1125

karlk1125

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:41 AM

It's going to be really rough in Newport Beach with all the blonde girls, great food, warm weather, and some solid fishing. hahaha.

You'll find out soon that Socal is kind of like Sarah Palin. You'll either hate it or love it! Up here in Norcal we like to hate on socal, but you'll love it. Its INSANELY materialistic down there, but if you can get past all the Bentleys and fake tits, you'll be in paradise:D. There's decent Striped Marlin fishing off of Catalina in the summer/fall, and thanks to all the pretty green lawns throughout socal, the once thriving Striped bass population is all but decimated.
About the rod...go with the Phenix Hybrid 700x2h (40-100). Its a perfect west coast rod and it'll handle that drag with ease. Look forward to seeing some reports from you!

#18 karlk1125

karlk1125

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:44 AM

BTW, Striper fishing as good or better than what you're doing now is just 4 hrs north
in the Sacramento river delta.

The fishery in the shitter right now. CDFG is literally trying to wipe out the population because they are an 'alien' species. Big stripers here now are 10lbs+. The big 30-40lbers are pretty much history.

#19 lite-liner

lite-liner

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

The fishery in the shitter right now. CDFG is literally trying to wipe out the population because they are an 'alien' species. Big stripers here now are 10lbs+. The big 30-40lbers are pretty much history.

Cool. Very saddening, but not entirely surprising. I had heard some rumors about that. My cousin up in Morro says now they want to remove all the 300- yr old Eucalyptus groves, because they're not "indiginous" :(
So, what about all the white people? sure wish the Chumash people had the same attitude. I feel terrible for you folks out there & the oppression y'all continue to endure.
F***ing sad. My saltwater life started in the Cat channel, in 1981.

sorry for the de-rail, that B2-30 is probably overkill for anything out there anymore.
one thing we always had a blast doing was working the kelps off the Corona del Mar surfline for hawg calico's & (real) sand bass w/ freshwater bass gear! WSB has made a real comeback in the past couple decades
but the fishing circles are pretty tight out there...........
Good luck, dude.

#20 icculus81

icculus81

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

I'm actually looking at the phenix rod you recommended. Was discussing it with a rod builder last night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users