Photo
- - - - -

Knocker Rig

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Astronut

Astronut

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

Just got word from my capt. the we're gonna be using this method around structure in the GOM. Its a pretty simply yet very effective method. Its also known as the Florida rig, has anyone used this before? I haven't but hey, always willing to try new techniques (atleast to me).

astro...

#2 max drag

max drag

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

very common here in the Alabama coast. Very effective, particularly when dealing with heavy current around structure. I dont use bait anymore, but if I did, this is the setup I would use. When I was fist learning how to fish the GOM, this was the setup I used with big baits.

#3 max drag

max drag

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

BTW, use a couple of beads that have a big enough hole to cover your knot if not snelling. This will prevent chaffing.

#4 first catch

first catch

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:48 PM

It's what I've always used when using bait.

#5 Squished

Squished

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

Who doesn't love knockers? Seriously. :o

How would you fish a rig like this?

#6 Astronut

Astronut

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

wow..i really do appreciate the input and pointers guys!..The Captn I fish with out of Freeport really likes trolling and bottom fishing. I will definitely use this method with ur advice. As always...DAMN I LUV THIS SITE!!!:D

astro...:cool:

#7 IgotSnagged

IgotSnagged

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

I used this rig a few weeks ago....in Florida of all places. LOL

We used it to fish for Jewfish, AJs, and seabass.
This rig was great for all but the Jewfish and a few AJ's. When you got cut off, you lost your lead weight and your hook everytime. I prefer the good ol' c-rig where the sinkers sit above the swivel. I at least get to keep my lead weight when I get cut off alot of times. We lost about a dozen 2-8oz lead sinkers on that trip.... It adds up.

#8 red hunter

red hunter

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

This is a very common rig used for bottom bait fishing here , I have fished this way for many years , It works well , and have landed a lot of very large fish with it , and it is the main rig the Pro fisherman use here as well .

#9 MikeF

MikeF

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

Ditto, it's an effective rig but if someone on the boat is using bait I prefer to set them up with a carolina rig. I personally think a short c-rig is more effective than the knocker rig.

#10 Astronut

Astronut

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:23 PM

MAN..I'm liking this thread...for us rookies of course..;) ..As i've always said..no question is a dumb question on here, as I am learning from ur input!...thanks guys!!!

astro..:D

#11 etan

etan

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:32 PM

this is the rig the captains on the head boats here in Port A. use. After they get tied off or anchored up they come off the bridge and throw one of these out. A sardine with a light sinker falls slowly through the water column until it finds the suspended fish. Seems the biggest snapper are usually off the bottom and they hook up and handoff to a customer. Try this rig you'll like it!

#12 paladin

paladin

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

No offence, but this is a Texas rig. Caught a lot of fish, won a lot of tournaments and taught a lot of us how to "finesse" fish with a soft plastic bait, AKA "rubber worm". I'm dating myself.
Pete

#13 biodigestor

biodigestor

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

If you are targeting bottom (reef) fish in GOM, I don't think you can use J hook, but only circle hook. Am I wrong?

#14 MikeF

MikeF

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

Correct, only circle hooks with live or dead bait in GOM.

#15 Astronut

Astronut

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

yep..yep...yep...i will try this knocker rig and see what happens, we plan on getn out there as soon as these winds settle down.

astro...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users