Photo
- - - - -

Anyone else try the Shimano Trinidad A reels yet?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

Just wondering if anyone else has had the chance to test out Shimano's new Trinidad A series yet? Specifically the 16NA? I had a chance to try it out during my last trip to Wilmington this past sunday and liked it a lot. I was mostly using it to bottom jig for grouper and bottom dwellers so I didn't really give it a thorough test speed jigging through the water column. With the 6.2:1 Gear Ratio and 46 inches of line retrieve per crank, I'm a little uncertain to get it for jigging as I'm afraid I'll get too tired to quickly or go with an Ocea Jigger NR 2000P. Your thoughts??

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Just curious to know how many Rods/Reels you bring with you on a Trip either local or traveling?

so many that you get those looks from others like "WTF is he doing"

#2 Astronut

Astronut

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:40 PM

damn nice pics of the water condition...wheres the pics of that monster..

astro..

#3 JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

It was like a lake out there that day :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Just curious to know how many Rods/Reels you bring with you on a Trip either local or traveling?

#4 JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:47 PM

Another question I had was where do people get the Cal's plate and Carbontex Drags for the Ocea Jigger Reels? Do you guys send them out to be modified or something?

#5 johndtuttle

johndtuttle

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:12 PM

Another question I had was where do people get the Cal's plate and Carbontex Drags for the Ocea Jigger Reels? Do you guys send them out to be modified or something?

CALSHEETS

You can send it your reel to be done or do it yourself with the kit available from Cal's.

#6 JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:15 PM

Thanks a lot John!!!! :)

#7 johndtuttle

johndtuttle

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

Thanks a lot John!!!! :)

OOPS wrong link!

this one: Cal's 2 Speed Reel Conversions. - Tel: 626-357-4441 - Penn International and Shimano Reel Conversions

:o

#8 d-a

d-a

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:06 AM

Brian

I have been eying that reel now for a little while. I have speed jigged with the 16N and it didn't wear me out. Its only when i need a 350+gram jig that i start to notice the higher ratio.

I also got my drag plate and carbontex from Dawn at smooth drags. I dont even get the drag plates any more. I get all the drag i need with the carbontex upgrades and for go the faster drag curve caused with the drag plate.

Oh one other thing, What rod is Arlen using with the 16NA? Is it a star?

d-a
The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.

#9 JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:20 AM

Thanks for the input Doug. I feel like at times the higher gear ratio (and higher yards per crank) would be more beneficial when trying to get that grouper turned away from his hole at the beginning of a fight/hookup...does that make any sense?... am I looking into this gear ratio thing too much :confused:

Is there even an option for the Cal's plate on a new Trinidad 16NA reel?

I plan on putting this reel onto a ~200g rod so I don't plan on using anything more than a 200g jig, so worrying about getting tired from 350+ gram jigs isn't even a question LOL. I do believe that the OJ NR 2000P has a higher line capacity than the Trinidad 16NA, correct?

The rod Arlen had paired with his 16NA was an older model Synit rod he kept calling a "Grey Ghost" blank. It was a VERY nice rod. I felt like that setup was perfect for the bottom fishing we were doing (~95-105ft). The only thing I would have changed with the rod would have been to have gotten it acid/spiral wrapped....which my rod is :)

#10 d-a

d-a

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for the input Doug. I feel like at times the higher gear ratio (and higher yards per crank) would be more beneficial when trying to get that grouper turned away from his hole at the beginning of a fight/hookup...does that make any sense?... am I looking into this gear ratio thing too much :confused:

Is there even an option for the Cal's plate on a new Trinidad 16NA reel?

I plan on putting this reel onto a ~200g rod so I don't plan on using anything more than a 200g jig, so worrying about getting tired from 350+ gram jigs isn't even a question LOL. I do believe that the OJ NR 2000P has a higher line capacity than the Trinidad 16NA, correct?

The rod Arlen had paired with his 16NA was an older model Synit rod he kept calling a "Grey Ghost" blank. It was a VERY nice rod. I felt like that setup was perfect for the bottom fishing we were doing (~95-105ft). The only thing I would have changed with the rod would have been to have gotten it acid/spiral wrapped....which my rod is :)

Brian

I actually like the higher gear ratio in the smaller reels for use with lighter jigs. A High quality 200g rod would be a perfect match for the OJ1500/2000 Or the Trinidad 16NA.

The difference in line retrieval of an OJ P and non P model in the 1500-2000 size is only @ 7-11 inches. Not much to make a difference but for comparison a JM pe3 has 28 inches of line retrieval and the 1500p is 39 where as the 1500 is 47 inches I had the exact figures for the OJ's but cant find it right now, the JM was measured.

The OJ 1500 size is the same as the Trinidad 16 and the 2000 is the same as a Trinidad 20 In the Non N models. The 16NA and 1500n are/should be the same size I havent had a 16NA in my hands yet. Also The Narow OJ's weight @ 100g more than the non N models.

As for a cals plate, I would almost bet the old Trinidad plates would fit in the new one as well as the carbontex. Its a $25 dollar chance i would be willing to take if I was wanting one(plate).

d-a
The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.

#11 d-a

d-a

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:18 PM

Oh yea, I would change the Grey handle out for a black one. It would look better IMO.

d-a

#12 Guest_BretABaker_*

Guest_BretABaker_*

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:28 PM

send the reels to tuna toys. he works wonders...

#13 JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:55 PM

Brian

I actually like the higher gear ratio in the smaller reels for use with lighter jigs. A High quality 200g rod would be a perfect match for the OJ1500/2000 Or the Trinidad 16NA.

The difference in line retrieval of an OJ P and non P model in the 1500-2000 size is only @ 7-11 inches. Not much to make a difference but for comparison a JM pe3 has 28 inches of line retrieval and the 1500p is 39 where as the 1500 is 47 inches I had the exact figures for the OJ's but cant find it right now, the JM was measured.

The OJ 1500 size is the same as the Trinidad 16 and the 2000 is the same as a Trinidad 20 In the Non N models. The 16NA and 1500n are/should be the same size I havent had a 16NA in my hands yet. Also The Narow OJ's weight @ 100g more than the non N models.

As for a cals plate, I would almost bet the old Trinidad plates would fit in the new one as well as the carbontex. Its a $25 dollar chance i would be willing to take if I was wanting one(plate).

d-a

Thanks for the post Doug :D

I know that the OJ NR 2000P is 560g and the OJ NR 1500P and the OJ NR 1500 is 410g or 555g (I'm getting conflicting information from Ebay auctions), but apparently the Trinidad 16NA's reel weight is TBA :confused: I was thinking of asking Arlen to weigh one, but forgot to ask him when I just spoke to him. Apparently, Tex's Tackle is the only place that I can tell which has the Trinidad 16NA in stock! FYI to all you guys interested in this reel ;)

I know that the OJ NR 1500P is ~$390, the OJ NR 1500 is ~$410, the OJ NR 2000P is ~$419 and the Trinidad 16NA is ~$479.99 and if the OJ NR 1500P is virtually the same as the Trinidad 16NA, the ~$100 price difference might be the clincher for me.

From what I can tell the the OJ NR 1500P has a gear ratio of 5.1.:1 and the OJ NR 1500 has a gear ratio of 6.2:1, just like the Trini 16NA.... man these OJs get confusing :P

I've got to make a decision! And from the sound of it, it doesn't look like I'll be disappointed with either route I go with

Bret, thanks for the info, I'll definitely contact Tuna Toys once a purchase has been made :)

#14 Guest_BretABaker_*

Guest_BretABaker_*

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:59 PM

no reason to send it to him until you need service. those reels should be fine out of the box.

#15 lordhell

lordhell
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:00 PM

Got word from ReelsSeller and ReelSmart Tackle on ebay that they will have the Trinidad A's available in November 2010, for the guys that wanna wait for ebay purchase. :)

#16 cabosandinh

cabosandinh
  • LocationRepublic of Texas

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:12 PM

"With the 6.2:1 Gear Ratio and 46 yards of line retrieve per crank"

that is impossible!

You'll crank a whole 300 yds in 6 cranks? talk about hyper-speed cranking,
even a barracuda couldn't catch up with your jig

#17 cabosandinh

cabosandinh
  • LocationRepublic of Texas

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:13 PM

that is impossible!

#18 lordhell

lordhell
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

that is impossible!

LOL cabo, it's a type-o, he meant 46in per crank:

Trinidad A

#19 JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

that is impossible!

HAHA Yes that was a typo which I have now fixed :o Sorry for the scare!

no reason to send it to him until you need service. those reels should be fine out of the box.

Well if I'm going to get a Cal's plate and carbontex drags for it, I might as well do it once I get the reel so I don't have to worry about it.

Thanks for the update on Jeff and ReelSmart Tackle, Han! :)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users