Photo
- - - - -

Canyon Reels - HS15 Pro Jigger

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:34 AM

I have been fishing an HS-15 from Canyon reels for about a month now and working with Don at Canyon Reels to tune the product for my style of fishing.

The HS-15 Pro Jigger is one sweet reel - it is LESS than 11 oz and holds over 300 yards of #50 braid. Even though reel has 34 lbs of drag at full, it is not designed for Tuna :rolleyes: but I will take one with it.

Specs:

HS-15S 6.1:1 ratio
6 ARB ball bearing
You can choose power handle like JM or Ball
For fluke I like the ball maybe for jigging the Power Handle

For now I am using the reels for bottom fishing. The Gold one was my first reel from Don and I took it down to Panama when we deep jigged #30 to #40 Snowys in 515 feet of water with 14 oz jigs. Reel was very nice but needed a little more drag. Don re-engineered the drag stack and was able to give #34 pounds now.

Everyone on the boat who tries this reel - whats to use it all day and not give it back to me. They are so light its a real pleasure to fish with. Also I can operate the lever drag with one hand - so for dropping back to a Fluke or letting out line - just one hand which I like as well.

I would compare this reel to JM PE3 or PE4 but the price is HALF and the service is right here in Brick, New Jersey.

I wanted my reels serviced right before the duke of fluke, so I send to Don in Brick New Jersey, in just 4 days start to finish, I have my reels back with fresh drags, lubed and tested no charge!!! Don your service is FAST and FIRST CLASS.

List price is only $229 for this reel as you see it, 100% metal and 'made' in the USA.

Here are some shots

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:53 AM

Nice reel! I would prefer a lower gear ratio, but it's a quality reel for that price for sure!

Just curious to know how many Rods/Reels you bring with you on a Trip either local or traveling?

so many that you get those looks from others like "WTF is he doing"

#3 bado1

bado1

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

BT,
Nice looking reel!
I'm a west coast guy and , of course, Avet is popular here. The problem is Avets, IMO, don't perform well as jigging reels...they are great for casting and fly-lining a live bait though! How do the Canyon Reels stack up against Avet in the jigging arena as well as in the casting or fly-lining arenas? How narrow is the spool on that little reel compared to the JX series of Avets?

Thanks!

Dean

#4 John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

What kind of terminal tackle is that in your pic?

#5 Squished

Squished

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

Can you order them in custom colors? I'd love to do a mix of black/red and give one a try.

#6 Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

Its actually a fairly wide spool about 1.5 inches - rating for capacity

#20 Braid = 450 yards!
#30 Braid = 350 yards!
#50 Braid = 300 yards!

I put a ton of backing on mine as I only had 150 yards of the fancy #26 Sunline but they have lot of line capacity for their class.

I can ask Don, I know he's normally happy to mix and match parts - mine is a mix of Blue and Silver and they do make a Red as a standard color but I don't think he does black. How about Red/Silver ?

** I think they have or have had other ratios available. I like the high ratio for bottom fishing personally.

*** John that is a 3oz CM Tackle Bucktail minnow we make (3 oz and 5 oz available) its like a Spro but without the hair

#7 bado1

bado1

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:05 AM

Better for jigging than Avet?

Never mind. I found the previous thread re these reels!

#8 Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:49 AM

I spoke with the Factory they can go Grey and Red, or Silver/Red, no black

Here are the standard colors so parts can be mixed and matched. BTW Gang these reels are hand assembled in Brick, NJ by Don himself. The service is top notch and where else are you going to get the owner to personally assemble and test your reel with his own two hands?

Gold,Blue,Red,Green,Gunsmoke and Silver available

#9 Squished

Squished

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

I spoke with the Factory they can go Grey and Red, or Silver/Red, no black

Here are the standard colors so parts can be mixed and matched. BTW Gang these reels are hand assembled in Brick, NJ by Don himself. The service is top notch and where else are you going to get the owner to personally assemble and test your reel with his own two hands?

Gold,Blue,Red,Green,Gunsmoke and Silver available

Hmm, a gunsmoke/red combo would be pretty slick.....

Posted Image

Something like that where the blue is red, the gold is gunsmoke, and the actual handle is red(leave the arm gunsmoke). I'd like the t-bar handle as well. Feel free to PM me a total, I'd like to get it spooled as well with JB 60# hollow.

#10 vq1970

vq1970

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:01 PM

Dan...
i would also like to get a Canyon Reels - HS15 Pro Jigger....where the blue is red, the gold is gunsmoke and the actual handle is red(leave the arm gunsmoke). I'd like the t-bar handle as well. Feel free to PM me a total, I'd like to get it spooled as well with JB 60# hollow. how much pls let me know thank you

#11 Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:45 AM

Guys sorry for the delay was kind of crazy busy with the Fluke and Tuna Tourneys in town the last two weeks. Good news is we placed 4th, bad news is 4th don't count for swat! We will try harder next year, should have prefished last Friday choose to work and run the booth at the Capts meeting. Big mistake went to the wrong numbers Saturday - water was grey and cold. Took all day to find good water, got 3 fish in the last 45 miles and just made the scales but no cigar :eek: :eek: :eek:

I will answer all emails and then PM's later. BTW I hate PM's my email is dan@capemaytackle.com

#12 fishingjack

fishingjack

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

I would expect that because ajiking now have the T handle (ajiking pro jigger) for just $144 delivered that competition will be very stiff.
I find this post a little misleading.

#13 Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

How so Mr. 4 posts to his name ?

Please explain....

#14 Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:59 AM

Hmm, a gunsmoke/red combo would be pretty slick.....

Posted Image

Something like that where the blue is red, the gold is gunsmoke, and the actual handle is red(leave the arm gunsmoke). I'd like the t-bar handle as well. Feel free to PM me a total, I'd like to get it spooled as well with JB 60# hollow.

Mark - sorry I never replied you. I am a big fan of Canyon Reels and Don. However honestly I've been over the top swamped and it is a bit of a conflict of interest for me to take direct sales for reels as we are a manufacturer at heart.... I don't want to compete for reel sales with our dealers that are selling Shimano, Daiwa and maybe Canyon as well. So I just discussed with Don, the owner of Canyon and he will offer 360 members this promo:

We have just added an option on our store to build your own reel online! We have drop down menus to allow you to select your own custom color combinations for your Canyon HS-15 Jigging Reel.

Along with the 360/Bass Barn 10% Discount, we are also offering a braided line special to all 360/Barn Members: We will spool your new reel with up to 300yds of Power Pro Braided Line for only $10. (30-65lb).

Please be sure to include your Screen Name in the customer comment section of the checkout page.

Thank you for your support.
732-232-0081
732-267-0335

I highly recommend the reels and I've added a second (Silver/Blue) to my collection. Everyone I fish with comments on how light and smooth they are.

I just read some of the other posts and sure while the reel looks similar, we know when you buy a reel you are buying service and Canyon has been excellent and fast as they are a NJ company.

#15 ksong

ksong

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

I would expect that because ajiking now have the T handle (ajiking pro jigger) for just $144 delivered that competition will be very stiff.
I find this post a little misleading.

Ajiking and Canyon reels are totally different reels.
While Ajiking is made in China, Canyon reels are made in NJ with many components are coming from Europe.
I am going to testi H-S 15 and 30 to the limit.
If I am satisfied with the performance with the reels, I plan to sit down with Don of Canyon Reels for upgrading the reel for my specifications. I already see some upgrades of the reel.

----------------------

Kilsong's Jigging World~JIGNPOP.COM~ Saltwater Fishing Store

#16 Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

Great news Kil. I know you also like Don and its excellent to hear that you and he can do some development as I have been doing with him.

The updated drags in the HS-15 are a big improvement already I'm sure the product will evolve to be an excellent option for bigger game. Don sent me several new handles to experiment with, but for inshore I still prefer the original ball handle that he includes with the reel but there is a now "mini power handle" now available that would be nice for jigging applications. Its also nice to point out that this reel will fit any reel seat from Fuji 17 to 22mm, as some reels cannot fit on Fuji 17 and 18 seat that is common on Fluke rods.

#17 fishingjack

fishingjack

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:41 PM

FISHINGJACK - read the following post: http://www.360tuna.c...170/#post130311 and pay particular attention to the part about hijacking sponsor threads.

#18 mitchman

mitchman

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

Are you going to come out with any mid size reels say in the avet jx or hx size range?

#19 ksong

ksong

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

I had a chance to review Stignray reels which are sold by Stingray in Florida which might be another name of Ajiking made in China.
It seems the reels copied most of Avet reels. However, they are like upgraded Avet reels with little binding in higher drags.
I would sat they can match expensive new Avet Raptor reels.
I thought Canyon reels are another name of Ajiking. Ajiking and Stingray are very good for the value in my opinion.
But I found it was not when I met Don of Canyon Reels at Somerset fishing show in NJ. Don assured me no parts are coming from China and the reels are manufactured in NJ.
I don't carry any products until they meet my standards.That is why I am going to test the reels to the limit before I carry them.
I let you know my review after extensive testing.

---------------------

Kilsong's Jigging World~JIGNPOP.COM~ Saltwater Fishing Store

#20 Enoch

Enoch

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

It's amazing to hear how a small brand can one up the avet by just curing the binding problem. Makes me wonder why the Avet can't get rid of the binding for their non-raptor reels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users