Photo
- - - - -

Phenix Hybrid rod blanks

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 J.AkuHed

J.AkuHed

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:47 AM

It is the time of the Fred Hall Show here in CA. Its an annual Sportsman's show with a specific emphasis in fishing products. It is the average man's ICAST! We always look forward to the Fred Hall to see what new and innovative products the industry has to offer the new season.
One of the things worth noting is the new Hybrid rods that Phenix Rods has and is expanding. This is Phenix's claim for their Black Diamond Hybrid rods:
The Phenix Hybrid is the world's first fully woven Carbon Fiber blank. The blank is a unique blend of high strength woven Carbon Fiber and Kevlar. This innovative combination of materials is the latest technology from the aerospace and automotive industry. After years of R&D, Phenix has finally successfully applied this technology into fishing rod blank applications. Engineered to the concept of being lightweight yet unbeliveably strong, the Phenix Hybrid delivers an action that is far superior to any traditional glass or graphite blank.
Black Diamond Hybrid : Phenix Rods, Your Home For Fresh and Saltwater Fishing Rods
They have had a limited model selection out for a year with a 6.5', 7', 7.5', and an 8' with ratings of 30-80#. This year Phenix is expanding the Hybrid line to include longer, 8'3", 8'8" and 9'2" and lighter, 10-25#, 15-30# and 20-40# rods.
I had previously wrapped the Hybrid BD-PSW809XH-B 8' 30-80 lb. a year ago for a fisherman looking for a light, strong, 50# jig stick.

I walked away with an 8'3" PHD 838 MH, 20-40# that I am very impressed with. IMO, power to weight ratio for this blank alone is over the top! I have been searching for a 40# popping rod and this fits the bill to the "T".
You guys need to take a look at these rods.

#2 Armbreaker Custom Rods

Armbreaker Custom Rods

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

Just finished up our first set of Phenix Hybrids PHD700XH-B 7' 30/80#
One word~ INCREDIBLE BLANKS!

Check out the set here~ Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Just about wrapped up on the 2nd set and will post up as soon as they are finished.

#3 flatliner

flatliner

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:52 PM

They are awesome blanks. Quality is second to none. Weight is light as a feather and attention to detail unsurpassed. Their jigging blanks are coming out from behind the mainstage curtain this week and I will have them in my grubby paws soon!

#4 red hunter

red hunter

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:27 AM

I the 8'3"PHD 838MH a 2 peice ?

#5 Get'n Jiggy

Get'n Jiggy

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:31 AM

Love my Hybrid.....A+++++:D:D

#6 Capt Richie

Capt Richie

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:59 AM

There the only 100% woven carbon fiber blank..Alone that tells the story..

If thats the type of blank your looking for Phenix is the blank you want...

I fish,build & sell Phenix ..You will be very happy...

Atlantic Custom Rod & Tackle

atlcustomrod@yahoo.com

516-780-5993

Custom Crafted Fishing Rods at an afforable price.
For the Professional & Recreational Angler

Inshore / Offshore / Jigging & Popping

Custom AR Blanks by United Composite
Calstar Blanks & Rods
Phenix Blanks & Rods
Phenix Jigging & Popping blanks
United Composite Blanks
St Croix Blanks

Charters service Marathon Fl Keys & Long Island NY...
Please call for details....All boats have Atlantic Custom rods...

#7 Armbreaker Custom Rods

Armbreaker Custom Rods

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:31 AM

I the 8'3"PHD 838MH a 2 peice ?

Hey Red here ya go~
PHD838MH-B 8'3" 1pc 20-40# Fast .661 7

#8 Armbreaker Custom Rods

Armbreaker Custom Rods

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

They are awesome blanks. Quality is second to none. Weight is light as a feather and attention to detail unsurpassed. Their jigging blanks are coming out from behind the mainstage curtain this week and I will have them in my grubby paws soon!

Already there Kevin:D Picked up a bunch because you know they are going to be hard to get once folks find out more about these!

#9 Capt Richie

Capt Richie

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

Already there Kevin:D Picked up a bunch because you know they are going to be hard to get once folks find out more about these!

Agree all the rest will be second best LOL.....

I dont know but I seen a down turn in jigging blank this year..If guys over bought last year or the price of fuel...i dont know???..

If anyone get to ICAST be sure to stop in at my two good friends ..Phenix & United Composites aka United Rods....

atlcustomrod@yahoo.com

516-780-5993

Calstar Blanks & Rods
Phenix Blanks & Rods
United Composite Blanks
St Croix Blanks

#10 karlk1125

karlk1125

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:35 AM

Are they finally coming out with their popping and jigging line soon??

#11 flatliner

flatliner

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

They're not made yet.... Production starts after ICAST.

#12 sglennjr

sglennjr

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:25 PM

hey fellas. Ive benn debating on a rod for yoyo style jigging new jersey tuna on Headboats. Meaning i want to be able to rail the rod. I was looking at super seeker 7', calstar 700h, gusa wahoo jr, or maybe the phenix bd hybrid 7' 30-80 lb. My questions are, how well would this phenix blank sling a 10 oz jig. Can i rail it, what is the bend like. (parabolic or stopping point). will it easily handle 20 lbs of drag on a 100 lb tuna? In comparison to a calstar 700 xh is the phenix lighter if so how much. Thanks in advance, as i know i will get some great answers on this site. If you guys tell me what i want to hear about the phenix, i will probably grab one. Just not sure if it will be a factory wrap or custom build.

#13 Capt Richie

Capt Richie

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:58 PM

hey fellas. Ive benn debating on a rod for yoyo style jigging new jersey tuna on Headboats. Meaning i want to be able to rail the rod. I was looking at super seeker 7', calstar 700h, gusa wahoo jr, or maybe the phenix bd hybrid 7' 30-80 lb. My questions are, how well would this phenix blank sling a 10 oz jig. Can i rail it, what is the bend like. (parabolic or stopping point). will it easily handle 20 lbs of drag on a 100 lb tuna? In comparison to a calstar 700 xh is the phenix lighter if so how much. Thanks in advance, as i know i will get some great answers on this site. If you guys tell me what i want to hear about the phenix, i will probably grab one. Just not sure if it will be a factory wrap or custom build.

Rail & Jigging ...The Phenix PHD Hybird 40-100 & 5-130 you can rail...The seeker 2x4 & 3x5 you can rail..The United composite CX70XXH you can rail..The calstar 70XXH you can rail...None of them are jigging rods...

The Wahoo Jr Composite is the only Jigging rod in your list ..Its My blank & I'm the only US dealer that sells it...I would not rail it with a big tuna on...

I understand what your looking to do I would go with the Phenix only because it will take a tuna on the rail...Remember the LR SD rail rod & the EastCoast headboads rails are very different...You need to zip tie a noodle on the rail on the east coast boats..

This is a picture of a westcoast rail & a seeker 2x4..I hope this helps...& if you want a Wahoo Jr composite please let me know...

Thanks ..

Attached Files

atlcustomrod@yahoo.com

516-780-5993

Calstar Blanks & Rods
Phenix Blanks & Rods
United Composite Blanks
St Croix Blanks

#14 sglennjr

sglennjr

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

Rail & Jigging ...The Phenix PHD Hybird 40-100 & 5-130 you can rail...The seeker 2x4 & 3x5 you can rail..The United composite CX70XXH you can rail..The calstar 70XXH you can rail...None of them are jigging rods...

The Wahoo Jr Composite is the only Jigging rod in your list ..Its My blank & I'm the only US dealer that sells it...I would not rail it with a big tuna on...

I understand what your looking to do I would go with the Phenix only because it will take a tuna on the rail...Remember the LR SD rail rod & the EastCoast headboads rails are very different...You need to zip tie a noodle on the rail on the east coast boats..

This is a picture of a westcoast rail & a seeker 2x4..I hope this helps...& if you want a Wahoo Jr composite please let me know...

Thanks ..

aRE YOU SAYING GO WITH THE PHENIX 40-100 Or my original choice of the 30-80? How long is that rod, And how does it compare in weight to a 700xh calstar? Only asking that question because i own a 700xh and am looking for something lighter. I have railed that rod successfully on jersey tuna. Up to 100 lbs. Would the 30-80 cast a 10oz jig fairly well. Is the bend parabolic? Im catching mostly 40-75 lb yellowfin, fairly small tuna, not west coast cows. Althought those rails would be nice on the boats i fish on. More surface area, thus less pressure on one point of the rod as compared to the 2" round steel rail we have on boats up here

#15 Capt Richie

Capt Richie

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:25 AM

aRE YOU SAYING GO WITH THE PHENIX 40-100 Or my original choice of the 30-80? How long is that rod, And how does it compare in weight to a 700xh calstar? Only asking that question because i own a 700xh and am looking for something lighter. I have railed that rod successfully on jersey tuna. Up to 100 lbs. Would the 30-80 cast a 10oz jig fairly well. Is the bend parabolic? Im catching mostly 40-75 lb yellowfin, fairly small tuna, not west coast cows. Althought those rails would be nice on the boats i fish on. More surface area, thus less pressure on one point of the rod as compared to the 2" round steel rail we have on boats up here

Yes your 100% right about the 2" tubes on our head boats..

The Phenix 40-100 is in line with the 700XH but different action & a much different feel while fishing..The 30-80 phenix I build as a GOM cod rods along with the calstar Gf800XH...As far as tossing 10oz lures & jigs I would fish the XXH..The Factory rods & blanks are 7 & 7'6" I had them make me 8' blanks...

I know the fishing very well I'm doing it for years...The 60-90lb yellowfin the 60-80XH more fun but the 40-100 will toss the jig & bring the meat to the boat ..

Railing a calstar 700XH on a eastcoat boat puts a lot of stress on a pretty thin wall blank..Something I would try not to do to offen.....I'm in NY if you would like to see all the different blanks...

atlcustomrod@yahoo.com

516-780-5993

Calstar Blanks & Rods
Phenix Blanks & Rods
United Composite Blanks
St Croix Blanks

#16 J.AkuHed

J.AkuHed

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:53 AM

X2 on the PHD700X2H, 7', 40-100#. the blank weighs 8oz. It has a fast action vs the Xfast action of the 700XH. The butt on the 700X2H is 0.63" in diameter vs the 700XH, 0.925". The Phenix also comes in a 7'6".
What the West coast fishermen do on their rods for the rail is install a cold shrink insulation tube on their fore grips where it contacts the rail and adds 1/4" of insulation which maybe good for protection against the skinny rails. Google cold shrink insulation tubes

#17 flatliner

flatliner

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:21 AM

OR, just contact Saltydawg here on the board and buy one of his patented rail grips!!! Those things are tough as nails and will stand up to any abuse you can throw at it.

#18 Capt Richie

Capt Richie

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:31 AM

Bill make a custom rail grip..The cold shrink tube is made by 3M..MacMaster Carr sell it..

I use the cold 3M tube...Works great but it has a part # painted on it .I put it down under the grip...After your first trip it wears off...

atlcustomrod@yahoo.com

516-780-5993

Calstar Blanks & Rods
Phenix Blanks & Rods
United Composite Blanks
St Croix Blanks

#19 Armbreaker Custom Rods

Armbreaker Custom Rods

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:45 AM

Here's some pics of Super Seeker with my railgrips,and its not the Super Seeker 2x4..as you see you dont need a 2x4 to land the giants... a 60/100# landed this giant,,check out the rail grips I prefer to use,,you cannot hurt this material and there is plenty of protection around the blank,,this isn't heated directly to the blank as other material..I love this rail grip for just that reason,,sure the other stuff it works but I like to use these grips for the rail,,and is excellent on the lighter blanks used on rail ..my rail grips are made from Cork & Rubber mix,you cant hurt them nor the blanks!
Enjoy a few pics!
http://i289.photobuc...DS/IMG_6895.jpg
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users