Photo
- - - - -

Panama Sportfishing Lodge Fire 1 Dead 1 Injured

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#21 elizabethfaye

elizabethfaye

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

To all of you who feel so sorry for John and plan to go there.  The "unknown" man is Lee Margrave from Idaho.  He loved hunting and fishing which he learned from his father and grand father growing up in Tenn.  He was a really great guy. 4 years ago, he reunited with his first wife, the love of his life.  They had been apart for 30 years.  10 years ago, after an 

estrangement he reunited with his son who also loves to hunt and fish and is curled up in the fetal position now as we all are.  I am his sister in Ca. He was just at my Christmas dinner almost 3 weeks to the day ago. He has a two year old grand-son who will never know him. He was a kind, gentle, funny man who loved life and now he's gone.  The embassy has said there was a propane tank not 10 feet from his room.  He didn't have a chance.  He had a birthday December 29, he just turned a very young 59.  He and his wife were planning on retiring in Ca so what's left of our small family could be closer, and he could be a presence in my 6 year old grand-son's life.  He owned a construction business in New Plymouth, Id. Margrave Construction and is VERY highly respected there.  

I don't feel sorry for John at the lodge, he is still breathing.

#22 dihrd

dihrd

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

I learned of the fire this morning.  Terrible event.   I stayed in that seocnd floor/cornor room #11 last visit.  Accidents can happen anywhere anytime.  Hate to see it happen to  those involved.  I know the lodge has done a lot for Boca Chica, I hope they can recover... I would love to go back there.

#23 max drag

max drag

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

Lee Margrave was a member here. So sorry for your loss.

#24 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

To all of you who feel so sorry for John and plan to go there. The "unknown" man is Lee Margrave from Idaho. He loved hunting and fishing which he learned from his father and grand father growing up in Tenn. He was a really great guy. 4 years ago, he reunited with his first wife, the love of his life. They had been apart for 30 years. 10 years ago, after an
estrangement he reunited with his son who also loves to hunt and fish and is curled up in the fetal position now as we all are. I am his sister in Ca. He was just at my Christmas dinner almost 3 weeks to the day ago. He has a two year old grand-son who will never know him. He was a kind, gentle, funny man who loved life and now he's gone. The embassy has said there was a propane tank not 10 feet from his room. He didn't have a chance. He had a birthday December 29, he just turned a very young 59. He and his wife were planning on retiring in Ca so what's left of our small family could be closer, and he could be a presence in my 6 year old grand-son's life. He owned a construction business in New Plymouth, Id. Margrave Construction and is VERY highly respected there.
I don't feel sorry for John at the lodge, he is still breathing.

My sincere condolences. I hope he was able to get in some great fishing in his last days :(. An absolute tragety. Remember his love for the outdoors and talk about him often in the years to come. Celebrate his life.

I will take time and wait for information to be revealed before passing judgement about fault. Nothing will change this travesty for you and your family.

From my family to yours, our deepest sympathies.

****Shut Up and Fish****

#25 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

Double post

****Shut Up and Fish****

#26 elizabethfaye

elizabethfaye

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

Thanks to those of you with the kind words. Lee had fished there many times,& truly everyone who knew him loved him. He loved sports too. He'll miss his 49ers on Sunday

#27 oilpatch

oilpatch
  • LocationBouncing around gulf

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:20 PM

So sorry for your loss Ms. Elizabeth: (

#28 RedAg

RedAg

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

Payers sent MsElizabethFaye.

#29 bjd76

bjd76

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

Mselizabethfaye, so sorry for your family's loss.

#30 Drifter

Drifter
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

My condolences to you and your family Mselozabethfaye.

#31 longgar

longgar
  • LocationDFW

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

Absolutely heart breaking. As others here have said, but it cant be said enough.. Deeply sorry for your loss, Mselizabethfaye. 

#32 mcharman

mcharman

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:20 PM

Elizabeth, First of all may I send you our heart felt condolenses for your tragic loss, this accident was totally avoidable, and everyone in Boca Chica has known for many years that PSFL were illegally storing fuel,as the latest News article explains.

I do not feel sorry for John, I just feel angry, and tried to warn everyone with my last post on BD Outdoors dated 23rd September, 2013 what a waste of a lovely man. I feel so sad for you and your family at this tragic time.

Here is the latest news article from Panama.

One tourist dead, another hospitalized in Chiriqui fishing lodge fire

January 17, 2014

Fuel tanks were stored in a building where visiting sports fishers were housed Fire code violation kills an American tourist, hospitalizes another foreigner by Eric Jackson

On the afternoon of January 14 a fire raced through the Panama Sport Fishing Lodge, which is next to the port of Boca Chica in the corregimiento of Hornocitos in Chiriqui’s San Lorenzo district. Frank Lee McGrave III, a 53-year-old US citizen who was lodged at the resort, was burned to death when the flames reached his room. Another visiting foreign fisher was hospitalized with burn injuries. The lodge was totally destroyed, despite the efforts of some 30 bomberos from three different fire companies.

Initial findings by fire inspectors was that the blaze started as an electrical fire in the downstairs room of the lodge that housed its generator, and that also stored in that room was the fuel used by the lodge’s fishing boats. That would be a serious fire code violation, officials have noted. Prosecutors are investigating.

One would expect that when Panama’s important tourism industry is involved, there would be fire inspections to catch such things. However, for tourist facilities and just about everything else in Panama fire inspection barely exists. It is required to hook up the electricity in a building, but one must wait for that service and even then the inspector often comes to the job ill prepared to recognize unusual hazards. It’s not just a problem with inspectors, but with firefighting services in general.

#33 mcharman

mcharman

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

Here are the real Photos of what happend, you can see the illegal storage of fuel everywhere, thats the fuel that did not explode !!!, John you are a disgrace to the human race.

http://nextpanama.ne...130:&Itemid=134

#34 mcharman

mcharman

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:16 AM

To John this was a tragedy you are right, but you are a lier and a sorry excuse for a human being, this was totally avoidable and I refer you to my last post on this forum dated 23rd September,2013 post #18 under Tony Pena's review of Panama Big Game Fishing Club. Of which I recieved a load of abuse to my warning.

Now a good man is dead and other in hospital because of your arrogence and greed, I hope you rot in hell !!!

Here is my post on BD Outdoors dated 23rd September, 2013 post #18 under Panama Big Game Club review posted by Tony Pena.

Panama Big Game Club has had a policy of catch and release since 2001 (when we opened) for all Billfish, Cubera Snapper and Roosterfish, we are also the founder member of the Panama Marine Resource Foundation to conserve this fishery for all of our children and our childrens children.

Your point of some of our skippers, bringing Marlin out of the water for a photo prior to release is noted, and action has been taken to stop this practice, (It is against Club policy, and the skippers have been told, but they were just trying to please the clients, this however is NOT an excuse that the club accepts, and will not happen in the future for Marlin). Roosterfish and Cubera Snapper will still be taken out of the water briefly in order for us to take out the hook, and take measurements for the scientific data that we have promised to supply to the many marine conservation organisations that we help and support.

Something that you should consider before you bash PBGFC, is this, it has taken us over 10 years to get everyone else to stop killing these fish, and there are still many operators that allow at the very least a limited kill quota on Cubera Snapper even today. We are trying very hard to get these operators to stop this practice along with the Panama Marine Resource Foundation, but the lodge that you seem to be so supported of on this forum, are a disgrace on so many levels, from the way they treat there staff, not putting enough fuel in there boats (90 gallon limit) to a huge fire hazard in the way they store and fill there boats with petrol. I could go on and on, but I know that most of you do not want or refuse to hear this, and do not care that our local children have to play outside of a brothel, but the local mothers do !!!.

I am not in the habit of bashing our competitors, I would rather promote the clubs strengths, but someone needs to bring this guy to task before someone gets badly injured or worse.

Another thing you are probably not aware of, is that whenever any lodge operator makes a negative post about one of BD's sponsors, the post is removed,as this one probably will be, so unless you pay at least $500 a month to BD, you are not allowed to respond to any comment posted on this board.

BD Outdoors is about making advertising revenue, and not about promoting the trust about lodges,operators or charter companies, which is not only unfair but misleading and defeats the advertised objective of the forum.

So there I have said it, let the attacks by the stupid and un-informed begin !!!, but remember I have staff who have worked for this guy, and they have family who are still working there, so the information that I have stated is not only accurate but current.

Finally I beg the person in question to make his operation safe and to address the issues that everyone in Boca Chica knows about, before something really bad happens and someone gets really hurt or killed, I refer especially about the storage and delivery of fuel.

I am going to get a load of crap for writing this, but at least I am letting you guys know the risks.

Tight Lines
misterc, Sep 23, 2013

#35 bay bruiser

bay bruiser

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:35 AM

Sorry for the loss of someone who is variously described as a good man, and soemone who clearly loved the ocean.

Mcharman, I can't see the " storage of fuel everywhere" in the photos you posted, just three plastic drums that could have contained god knows what.

Blaming, name calling and bad mouthing shows a serious lack of integrity, and as an outsider  portrays no one in a good light.

Can I suggest all parties take a deep breath, allow the officials tasked with investigating to do their job and wait for the outcome before racing towards the bottom of human behaviour.

"I m tired of you You need to go find another forum".....Sheriff San

#36 mcharman

mcharman

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:11 AM

Bay Bruiser, No you may not, I own Panama Big Game Club just across the water from PSFL, and my legally licensed, fully insured, fire dept authorised and secured refuelling station 10 meters from PSFL was nearly blown up, my GM's sister, "was blown up" and found bruised, crying and hesterical by my staff who raced to the rescue, I am here in Boca Chica, witnessed everything, have spoken to the fire inspector in person, who was at PSFL 1 or 2 hours before the fire investigating over 6 complains from local residents about the illegal storage of fuel, and then 1-2 hours later after the fire inspector had gone, John had a fuel truck come to fill up his illegal tanks when the fire started, the hose from the fuel truck was on fire and was left at the scene. This has been going on for over 6 years mate.

You are a disgrace,and part of the reason that people died and are still in hospital, there were foreign fishing journalists in the lodge at the time of the fire, and they have come to see us, wait and see what they are detirmined to publish abaout PSFL in there magazine and the Swedish press upon there return, it is not going to help the tourism for Panama or the great lodges that we have here that are properly run and take our clients safety very seriously...

I hope that you can sleep at night ?, "I can't",  having had to witness the true horror of what unfolded the other night, and I am an Ex Royal Marine Commando, you say you cannot see fuel containers, look again the 50 gallon blue barrell's were full of petrol (John admitted this in his BD post, and the fire investigators confirmed it) look at the image of the huge Butane containers that did not explode thanks to the firemen (they are the 6 massive bottles marked butane). What you cannot see in the photos is the 4,000 gallon petrol tank that was being re-fueled (because John threw all of the journalists and TV crews off of the site before they could photograph it), it had been leaking for over a week and all staff and guests reported an increasing smell of petrol from a week ago untill the day of the fire, the trigger was a guy using an axle grinder, who was doing some maintenance work, and a white hot spark hit the petrol soaked ground, whilst they were about to refuel, and then the place just exploded.

This is what we have been told by the PSFL staff and guests, the official report will be published by the fire investigators after they have finished there investigation.

Why he is not in jail right now no one can understand, but John has been going around Bocca Chica telling everyone that he is friends with ministers in the Government and he can do whatever he wants, he is going to re-build (and actually is, he started today) and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

He is sadly mistaken, the american embassey personnel are arriving next week with the dead mans family, and they are not coming to check out how many fish he caught on his trip I assure you.

Now please have some respect for the family, and stop making excuses for a criminal remember we live here and every single person in Boca Chica knows why this happened and we have spoken to most of the staff who were there at the time and 2 of the guests.

or you can question the head of the fire department in Chiriqui, his comments are in all of the newspapers, he says Illegal storage of huge quantities of fuel.

Or You can question, Why he has no insurance whatsoever, but has been fishing 4 boats of clients (un-insured for the past 2 days) the man has no shame or regard for anything apart from his clients cash.

What more do you want to know ?

#37 mcharman

mcharman

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:28 AM

Bay Bruiser, I have checked out your profile and see that you are from the Torres Straites Islands, you might want to say hi to Glen in the Heritage Centre on Thursday Island (one of the chiefs) and  Dennis "Brazaka" Wallis and his wife Yvonne who owns Cape York Helicopters that you just met Mr "C" from Dubai (on-line), then you will understand just who you are dealing with and my resolve when rogue operators start killing and injuring totally inocent tourists.

Jesus Christ man!!!, John has even been fishing clients on 4 boats for the past 2 days and is still telling clients to come down, the man has no SHAME or remorse whatsoever.

#38 tossser lures

tossser lures

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:54 AM

Very sad to hear. RIP.

#39 bay bruiser

bay bruiser

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:05 AM

I get that this is an emotionally charged event, But  a statement like "You are a disgrace,and part of the reason that people died and are still in hospital" is  clearly wrong given that I am on the other side of the planet?

Bruce lives in Cairns 1200 kilometers away I have never met him, I also have not met "Mr C " from Dubai? 

Like i suggested refraining from speeding towards the bottom will serve you well. Take it or leave it, your choice.

Just refrain from making emotive statements that are unsubstantiated. ( especially towards me)

I in the interests of letting things settle, wont be posting in this thread again.

"I m tired of you You need to go find another forum".....Sheriff San

#40 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:47 AM

Maybe the bashing is deserved, maybe not. We do not know for sure. I hope it turns out to be just an accident that was not preventable, if someone is at fault I hope that person(s) are held accountable.
There will be an investigation and information will be made available through objective parties, aka news reporting.
There are many men and women involved with this incident, I personally have never worn any of their shoes.

****Shut Up and Fish****

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users