• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#1 peterk814

peterk814

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

Crazy I hope all the employees were ok-

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZDXpOS_r3y8

http://translate.goo...hiricano/260356

5/01/2014 - BOCA CHICA, Chiriquí -. One dead and one injured was the balance of a fire, which was registered on Tuesday night in Panama Sport Fishing Lodge hotel, offering its guests fishing, and is located in the community of Boca Chica, in the district of San Lorenzo, Chiriqui.

The first commander of the Fire Chief Chiriquí, Manuel de la Cruz, confirmed under investigation by the Department of Safety the causes of the accident, while the Public Ministry officials also make their inquiries.

De la Cruz revealed that in extinguishing the fire station firefighters of San Felix, David and Resume participated.

He added that quick action by the Red Shirts prevented the flames from spreading in the immediate area because no stored fuel, which could cause more damage to the tourist population and fishermen in the area.

It's a hurt, an alien who was released from the top of the building is broken, while the other died in the fire, said De la Cruz.

The commander said he is investigating why there was so much fuel stored in the resort because storage in unsafe places is not allowed, so volatile material.

#2 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

Wow, that's no good. Especially if it is found that the lodge is at fault for improper fuel storage.

****Shut Up and Fish****

#3 bowguide

bowguide

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

It's a horrible horrible situation. I received a call yesterday telling me there was an accident. I called our group and let them know the situation and at that time there was really no story that could be confirmed as I had no fewer than 3 different versions of what was going on. We have a friend that will be on site today and hopefully he can clear some things up. For now we can only pray for those that were injured.

#4 lite-liner

lite-liner
  • Locationwaaaaaaay up the hill

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

wow. just wow.

prayers out to the family of the victim

& to John & the rest of the crew.

#5 mtamim

mtamim

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

FUCK!

#6 Courtland

Courtland

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

First of all , condolences to the family of the fellow angler that died  & prompt recovery to the fellow angler injured . Prayers sent. OMG , just watched the youtube vid.....that's horrible

This incident will certainly wipe PSFL out of our bucket list .

If the fuel was improperly storage as it looks like , the law suits to follow will put an end to any possible re-build of the hotel.

I was going to bite my tongue on this whole event since my opinion of this matter could be construed as biased. It is responses like this that I knew would come. I will try to keep control and do this constructively. I have no doubt some will be here soon to ride this horse even further, but here goes.

John, the owner, is a friend of mine and many on this site. Not just from the lodge relationship though, his brother lives in my town. We break bread together, lone each other tackle, boats and money. We are friends, good friends. Panama is a third world country. Those who have been there know that. Political rebellions, bribery, murders for power, drug trafficking, etc.. Things operate differently there, as they do in MANY other countries where we visit to pursue our passions. Safety regulations, medical help, building codes, food and drug services, etc.. are not what they are here in the US.

I can tell you first hand. John runs a quality operation. He has always been good to me and anyone I have sent there. His staff and Captains are all good people and John truly cares about his customers. This is a tragic event and time and investigations will show whatever they do. For people who have never been to an operation like this, they should not comment on this like they know all the facts. It is a big world and people live differently and under a wide variety of conditions in this world. I can assured you that no one involved would EVER have wanted something like this happen.

My prayers and thoughts go out to everyone involved.

www.JigSkinz.com

#7 go2abaco

go2abaco

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

x 2 what Courtland said

#8 mtamim

mtamim

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

I was going to bite my tongue on this whole event since my opinion of this matter could be construed as biased. It is responses like this that I knew would come. I will try to keep control and do this constructively. I have no doubt some will be here soon to ride this horse even further, but here goes.

John, the owner, is a friend of mine and many on this site. Not just from the lodge relationship though, his brother lives in my town. We break bread together, lone each other tackle, boats and money. We are friends, good friends. Panama is a third world country. Those who have been there know that. Political rebellions, bribery, murders for power, drug trafficking, etc.. Things operate differently there, as they do in MANY other countries where we visit to pursue our passions. Safety regulations, medical help, building codes, food and drug services, etc.. are not what they are here in the US.

I can tell you first hand. John runs a quality operation. He has always been good to me and anyone I have sent there. His staff and Captains are all good people and John truly cares about his customers. This is a tragic event and time and investigations will show whatever they do. For people who have never been to an operation like this, they should not comment on this like they know all the facts. It is a big world and people live differently and under a wide variety of conditions in this world. I can assured you that no one involved would EVER have wanted something like this happen.

My prayers and thoughts go out to everyone involved.

Well said Courtland.... This is a tragedy... Prayers go out to the victims.  Hopefully they'll be back up and running in no time!

#9 RedAg

RedAg

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

Praying for the anglers, families, and staff.  I think it is important to not jump to conclusions.

#10 ksong

ksong

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

Sorry to hear the accident.
I fished Panama 5 times and Panama Sport Fishing Lodge was the only lodge I stayed.
I enjoyed fishing at PSFL and I will continue to support them whether they have good time or bad time.

---------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com
www.blackholeUSA.com

Edited by ksong, 16 January 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#11 landlocked

landlocked

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

First of all , condolences to the family of the fellow angler that died & prompt recovery to the fellow angler injured . Prayers sent. OMG , just watched the youtube vid.....that's horrible

This incident will certainly wipe PSFL out of our bucket list .

If the fuel was improperly storage as it looks like , the law suits to follow will put an end to any possible re-build of the hotel.

It's still on my bucket list Anthony, when you say "we" I think you only speak for your multiple user ID's

Post like yours, especially considering what you are, are just disingenuous and irresponsible

#12 mtamim

mtamim

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

It's still on my bucket list Anthony, when you say "we" I think you only speak for your multiple user ID's

Post like yours, especially considering what you are, are just disingenuous and irresponsible

Anthony = Mad Marlin from way back when too right?

#13 killula

killula
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

That dudes Cra Cra
First to Fight!

Never Surrender!

#14 lite-liner

lite-liner

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Back to Topic?

we should probably start some kind of help-line, relief fund, etc, eh?

anyone know how to  get that started?

#15 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

Back to Topic?

we should probably start some kind of help-line, relief fund, etc, eh?
anyone know how to get that started?

For what exactly?
Not trying to be hard, just wondering who involved with the incident needs financial help?

****Shut Up and Fish****

#16 mcharman

mcharman

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Here is the english version of the newspaper article regarding this tragedy from the Panamanian National Newspaper La Prensa.

One dead, one injured in hotel fire
FLOR BOCHAREL Q.
Espacial para Prensa.com
internet@prensa.com
Temas:
Especial para Prensa.com/Flor Bocharel Q.
260356-215047.JPG
Hay un herido, un extranjero que se lanzó de la parte superior del edificio.

15/01/2014 - One person is dead and one other was injured in a fire Tuesday night at the Panama Sport Fishing Lodge in Boca Chica, Chiriquí.

Chiriquí Fire Chief Manuel de la Cruz said the cause of the fire is under investigation. Firefighters from San Felix, David and Bugaba responded to the call. The names of the victims have not yet been released.

He lauded the quick work of firefighters to contain the blaze and keep it from spreading to nearby areas where fuel is stored.

The injured person was reportedly hurt while jumping out of the building to escape the flames.

The fire chief said that the investigation will focus on why so much fuel was being stored at the resort.

#17 lite-liner

lite-liner

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

just a suggestion they're gonna need help some how I'm sure.

just as sure as I am about coming together to help if needed.

#18 etan

etan

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

I hope we will get the whole story soon.  I'll be heading down to the lodge as soon as John is up and running again.  John we are thinking about you and good luck.  

#19 JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

Prayers to the families that have been affected and to John and the staff.

Just curious to know how many Rods/Reels you bring with you on a Trip either local or traveling?

so many that you get those looks from others like "WTF is he doing"

#20 SynitUsa

SynitUsa

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

Prayers sent out to everyone involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users