Photo
- - - - -

spooling w/ depth finder braid?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Smitty 20

Smitty 20

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

i was just wondering how to spool up with metered braid (diawa or OTI). is it best to just fill the entire spool with the metered braid or should i use a backing of a different braid? the deepest i will be jigging is 500' and it will be for blue fin tuna.

#2 nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

I would stick with the metered for the whole thing. I am always of the mindset that an unnecessary connection in between you and the fish is just another place where something could go wrong.

#3 A.whitman

A.whitman

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

if you can afford it it wont hurt to spool all the way. but 2-300 yards is more than enough then back with whatever braid you want. i back with tufline xp on my stellas and go all metered on everything else.

#4 Smitty 20

Smitty 20

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:47 PM

ok great thanks. i was kind of worried about having the extra connection on the spool so thats good to know. thanks guys

#5 Smitty 20

Smitty 20

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

anyone else do anything different or is just spooling the entire reel with metered braid the way to go?

#6 macka17

macka17

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

Hi.

Heavy fishing. Jigging. I spool full metered braid.

Up to 50lb or so. I load with Tuff Line XP. then top 200mtrs YGK..
Connection. two Bimini with a multi Cats paw join...
Macka17

#7 Fishhead56

Fishhead56

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:57 PM

When a 300yd spools each did not fill a few conventional jigging reels
I loaded to metered line on then Jerry Brown one line to fill the spool.
Which ended being 80 to 140 yds depending on reel and line test.
Then remove JB on to spare reel and metered line on to another spare reel
Reloaded JB as backing then metered line both with some drag applied
to the spare reels. as for the splice\knot , lots of choices out there.

#8 DanS

DanS

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:20 AM

330yds of Daiwa #55 Boat Braid (.036mm) is a perfect match for a Stella 10000 spool, if you use some tension when loading the line.

Posted Image

#9 ksong

ksong

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:49 AM

I seems I am a minority to put regular Tuf line on the reel and add 100 - 200 meter of color coded PE line using uni to unit knot. :)
When the lines are tight enough, you rarely have problem because of the knot.

#10 Enoch

Enoch

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

350 yards of 100lb daiwa boat braid fit on my stella 20k. If that's not enough to stop a 150lb bluefin, I assume I can wave the captain to back down on her.

#11 pametfisher

pametfisher

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

I seems I am a minority to put regular Tuf line on the reel and add 100 - 200 meter of color coded PE line using uni to unit knot. :)
When the lines are tight enough, you rarely have problem because of the knot.

Ksong, You know your stuff well, at the highest level, so you've got experience on your side. Because of that, I don't mind challenging your wisdom.

Let me start by saying that I agree with you that a Uni to Uni, line connection is a sound strategy. It is time proven to work. It is stable in its performance.

Since that connection is further into the spool than casting range, it does not detract as it goes through the guides. The Uni to Uni seems to stand up to frequent abuse. It is a relatively easy knot to tie accurately in Spectra. (Although an incorrectly tied Uni knot looks good, it doesn't perform as well. And it can be tough to tell if it hasn't pulled together correctly.)

On the negative side, there is no doubt that a Uni knot cuts the actual strength of the line by 30%--that's a fact. If you bought 80# line to begin with so that you could have greater abrasion resistance than say, 50# line, or so that you could tie knots and end up on par with 50# line. Your strategy is still sound.

Also on the negative side, as your line goes out, unless you reduce it, the drag goes up substantially. With "small" 125 lb. Bluefins on the line, that may not be a problem. But what about a 250 lb. fish that makes a sudden run, or wraps a line on its tail momentarily. Wouldn't it be better to have the full strength of the line?

A stronger solution would be to splice the lines together with a piece of JB hollow core. It will run through the guides well and not reduce the strength of your primary lines at all. And you've only got to do it once. Here are three SERVE choices that I see for the splice.

1. Overhand Knot Serve. Although it's fast, it cuts the strength.

2. Glued and Bowstring wrapped Serve: This is the standard. It takes some time but is proven and you only have to do it once. You have to trust that the wrapping and gluing will last. And you should use activator since Superglue does not stick to Spectra without it.

3. Pressure Serve: Solid to Hollow Splice. This requires less skill than #2 but as with all non-glued serves (like Nail knot or Overhand knot serves), it can creep a tiny amount, giving some anglers the creeps. But it is 100% strong.

#12 Guest_BretABaker_*

Guest_BretABaker_*

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

ive been spooling my reels with all marked line......but i need to fill my OJ 4000 again because the line looks low. im not sure i can get another 400yds before i leave for panama, so i may go buy other line and just put 100yds of OTI on top.

#13 ksong

ksong

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:06 AM

Hi Rogers, Once I have two failures, I don't use it anymore. I had failures of uni to unit knot and albright knot for heavy braided lines and leader lines and I don't use them anymore when using heavy lines over 80 lbs.
I know you can not get full strengh by using uni to uni know to connect braided line and braided line, but the knots are pretty slim and didn't give single problem though I fought numerous big tuna including a giant.
I am going to use the knot until the knot breaks twice. :) Of course I put some glue on the knot.

#14 pametfisher

pametfisher

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:32 AM

Hi Rogers, Once I have two failures, I don't use it anymore. I had failures of uni to unit knot and albright knot for heavy braided lines and leader lines and I don't use them anymore when using heavy lines over 80 lbs.
I know you can not get full strengh by using uni to uni know to connect braided line and braided line, but the knots are pretty slim and didn't give single problem though I fought numerous big tuna including a giant.
I am going to use the knot until the knot breaks twice. :) Of course I put some glue on the knot.

If you use a thin glue like Loctite 406, I agree that you will get very high strength, nearing 100%. Since I don't like glue much, since it can fatigue, I forgot that option. But you are right.

Using glue on a Uni, it doesn't need to adhere to the Spectra, just kind of form a honeycomb inside the knot. That takes the pressure off the first sharp turn in the knot, making it strong.

#15 ksong

ksong

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:54 AM

I know some guys in California use solid-hollow splice, but I don't have any confidence yet. I discussed it with Basil before my trip on the Q105 in 2005, but I didn't use it.

I use Zap glue from Pacer. Someone mentioned Polibond glue for the purpose, but I believe it is not a good choice.

#16 pametfisher

pametfisher

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

I know some guys in California use solid-hollow splice, but I don't have any confidence yet. I discussed it with Basil before my trip on the Q105 in 2005, but I didn't use it.

I use Zap glue from Pacer. Someone mentioned Polibond glue for the purpose, but I believe it is not a good choice.

Pliobond won't do much for a Uni in Spectra, but it won't hurt. As long as you use a Cyanoacrylate glue that instantly wicks into the knot, one drop will add a lot of strength. If you have to work the glue into the knot, I don't have much confidence.

The solid hollow splice is good as long as you perfect the SERVE method.

#17 ksong

ksong

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

If you have to work the glue into the knot, I don't have much confidence.

I tested with Zap and without Zap and It made huge difference with Zap.

#18 Guest_BretABaker_*

Guest_BretABaker_*

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:02 PM

ive used the regular super glue with good results. i havent noticed any knots slipping

#19 Grescobia

Grescobia

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

Smitty, I have been invited to come to montauk and fish for tuna this summer off a friends lobster boat. I am to pick the week this summer to do so. When ,in your opinion is the best month and moon phase to try fot the bluefin.

#20 gman

gman

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

350 yards of 100lb daiwa boat braid fit on my stella 20k. If that's not enough to stop a 150lb bluefin, I assume I can wave the captain to back down on her.

I got like 400+ on my 20K ... but I wet mine down during spooling to pack it in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users