Photo
- - - - -

Best small 2 speed reel

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

I am trying to find out what is the best 2 speed reel in a small size.   That will have a good drag 40+ and is not going to kill be on price.   I am going to be using it up in alaska and have gotten 200lb halibut so need some good drag expecially when current is kicking it.   Need something smaller and lighter so for packing and storage.?    What do you guys think. Thanks Steve

Lets go fishing :D NOW

#2 a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hi Steve, IMO I would say either Accurate or Avet both made in the USA.  You can't get better than that!

Benny

#3 bnz

bnz
  • LocationGA coast

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

40+ drag, 2 speed, and not going to kill you on price??  Kind of an oxymoron there wanting the first two with the last. :)

Check out the new Accurate Dauntless reels.  I think Accurate has really stepped up their game with their new series.

#4 SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

I know there has to be some out there.

#5 Tunanorth

Tunanorth

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

"Small" is very relative; exactly how much line do you want the reel to hold?

I was the Tournament Director of the "Alaska Grand Slam" series in Sitka for 12 years; we had hundreds of big halibut over 100 pounds, at least 25 barndoors over 200 pounds, and 4 monsters over 300 pounds [376 biggest]; and IMO you do not really need 40 pounds of drag for even the biggest flatties.

That said, you might want it anyway, which is cool, but you will find a severe shortage of "small" 2-speeds [99 size or smaller] with a "published" drag rating of 40 pounds or more.

Once you get to the "narrow 4/0" size, there are a some, including the Penn Torque TRQ40NLD2 [40 pounds drag], and the Penn 16VSX [42 pounds drag].

If I was fishing in Sitka, Dutch Harbor, or going out "Alaska Long-Range" on the Crackerjack out of Seward, and specifically targeting giant halibut, the 16VSX would be my personal choice.

#6 SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

Looking for one that can handle 20lb/500 yds  somewhere in that area.   I have used less drag and yes it is very possible but I prefer to put it down some.    I will look at the ones you mentioned.  Thanks.    I have fished with Crackerjack and profish-n-sea out of seward .  I have fish all over alaska.   Fishing up there is the highlight of my year.  It is always fun and cool compared to Texas in summer.  I will also be using it for tuna and who knows what else so that is another reason I want a little more drag. 

#7 oilpatch

oilpatch
  • LocationBouncing around gulf

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

I totally abused a talica 16 for 2 years...good reel.

#8 Reel Stamas

Reel Stamas
  • LocationPanama City Beach

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

IMO if you try a Torsa you'll realize that you don't need a 2 speed for bottom fishing...

#9 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

Take a good hard look at the Daiwa Saltiga 2 speed lever drag reels.

****Shut Up and Fish****

#10 oilpatch

oilpatch
  • LocationBouncing around gulf

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

IMO if you try a Torsa you'll realize that you don't need a 2 speed for bottom fishing...

why I no longer have the talica :-)

#11 GARRIGA

GARRIGA
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

The 16VSX would definitely fit that requirement but its heavy for a small reel and not cheap. I'd consider the recommendation on single speed reels and specifically Trinidad 40 if located. Should get the required drag with Carbontex plus more than enough capacity. Perhaps an Accurate 500 2 speed is a closer match on line capacity and much lighter but not sure if it gets 40#s. probably mid 30s but none of these options are cheap.
GO BIG OR STAY HOME

#12 Tunanorth

Tunanorth

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

Looking for one that can handle 20lb/500 yds  somewhere in that area.   I have used less drag and yes it is very possible but I prefer to put it down some.    I will look at the ones you mentioned.  Thanks.    I have fished with Crackerjack and profish-n-sea out of seward .  I have fish all over alaska.   Fishing up there is the highlight of my year.  It is always fun and cool compared to Texas in summer.  I will also be using it for tuna and who knows what else so that is another reason I want a little more drag. 

OK, assuming the 500/20 number you want is "monofilament" capacity, you are indeed talking about a classic "99" size reel.

In that size range, the Penn Torque TRQ30LD2 [33 pounds drag, and only 21 ounces], and slightly larger 12VSX [36 pounds drag] would both handle big halibut very well, although slightly under the max drag you are thinking of.

#13 diabolicaldog

diabolicaldog

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:18 AM

I would be looking at a Okuma Makaira 10/15 in a two speed.  I also have a Torsa and found no need to pony up to a two speed for bottom fishing.

#14 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

The Makaira is a good option as stated above. A little slow for smaller fish(for me) but probably perfect for big halibut. 4.7 and 2.1 speeds, 550 yards of 20lb mono, but the stated max drag is 34lbs. I think it should be a good fit though.
Saltiga 40 or 50 2 speeds are speedier and have a full 40lbs of drag. I'm sure there is an avet that will do the job too.

****Shut Up and Fish****

#15 bnz

bnz
  • LocationGA coast

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

I just never thought of the 16VSX, TRQ40, Mak 10/15, saltiga 40/50 as small reels.  Small to me would be a reel under 20 oz.  :)

#16 CaptLeoNYC

CaptLeoNYC
  • LocationStaten Island N.Y.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:55 AM

Avet Sx Raptor look no further and load it with braid and say goodnight. At this price 359.99 shipped they have it in gold/silver/blue etc check it here http://www.ebay.com/...=item4612d4ccde

#17 CaptLeoNYC

CaptLeoNYC
  • LocationStaten Island N.Y.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

Or if you really need 50lbs of drag in a small reel on a budget check out the HX Avet raptors here http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a148b67b6

#18 ReelMe

ReelMe
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

I just never thought of the 16VSX, TRQ40, Mak 10/15, saltiga 40/50 as small reels.  Small to me would be a reel under 20 oz.  :)

As far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as a small reel that has the capacity of 500yds/20lb mono.

• bnz likes this

****Shut Up and Fish****

#19 GARRIGA

GARRIGA
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:17 AM

I agree. 500/20 with 40#s plus and having a small form factor is a dream reel. Just making it 2 speed adds weight.

Accurate 500 2 speed weights 4 oz more than single speed and only holds about 400/20 and probably gets near the 40# drag but $600 plus. The 600 2 speed is another 4 oz and probably close to 500/20. Both those reel options in 4:1 have enough torque to get the job done, cost considerably less, weight less and single speeds are much easier to service.

Don't have to go accurate and just an example of a reel that's offered in both single and 2 speed for comparison on overall cost and weight.

That 500/20 is in the form factor of a 4/0 reel. If less capacity is considered and strictly braid than a Penn Baha gets the job done and then some.
GO BIG OR STAY HOME

#20 bnz

bnz
  • LocationGA coast

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

Another option:  Release LG- 40+ lbs drag, holds 500 yds 60 lb braid  (not sure you'd make the 500 yd/20 lb mono with it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users