Photo
- - - - -

Omoto Vortex 12N

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pompeypat

pompeypat

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Guys...have any of you got one of these Omoto jigging reels? I'd be interested in your opinions.

Thanks

Pat

#2 pompeypat

pompeypat

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

[ATTACH]57818[/ATTACH]
No one out there got one of these?

#3 oilpatch

oilpatch
  • LocationBouncing around gulf

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

That a good looking reel pat. Take it it a Maxel/jm/m&w copy?

#4 VaRandy

VaRandy

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

You can't tell without a professional pulling it apart but I doubt it is suitable for heavy jigging, Remember the Chinese don't understand metallurgy and don't fish. They can put out a good reel designed and engineered where quality materials are supplied for the build. CNC machined exteriors look great and bring expectations of a similar level of care inside but they are unrelated.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.
--G.K. Chesterton

Predator Fishing Systems
U.S. Distributor for Jigstar rods , Zest lures,
and Hollowpoint big game artificials

Okuma High Performance Reels

#5 tailfisher

tailfisher

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

Looks identical to the Atlas reel except for the blue anodized parts.

#6 pompeypat

pompeypat

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:55 AM

Thanks for your inputs guys. I agree appearances can be deceptive. And to be honest I'm not sure it is a copy, or at least an exact copy. I've played around with one here in Singapore, it seems solid with the right bits in place AR +dogs, carbon drag (26lb on the 12N), made in Taiwan, like JM, as opposed to China. Also, Alan Hawk did a review of their spinner (Omoto Severo I think), and was pretty complimentary on the build quality. Just wanted some view from the frontline, on actual performance through use if possible. If I can't find someone who's abused one for a while, I might just get one and abuse it myself, and let you know how it goes :)

http://www.omoto.com...roduct1-vx.html

Edited by pompeypat, 11 April 2013 - 01:41 AM.
adding link

#7 Milkman

Milkman

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:44 AM

Yeah Pompey, some of the reels that Omoto put out arent half bad ( ie. the Severo), and if ths reel is Taiwan made, that is a plus mark..but i do know that Omoto do put out some junk in their entry level spinners also, and have also taken a step back by buying 10,000 Chinese OEM Tuff Tackle Sniper/ canyon 6500/ M&w spinners...and have labled them up Omoto Maxpel..

But intersted to seehow you go if you end up getting the Vortex, and run it through it's paces..

Edited by Milkman, 11 April 2013 - 04:47 AM.

#8 pompeypat

pompeypat

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

Milkman...that is a petty big step back. Thanks for the info.

#9 thunder5l

thunder5l

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

I used to sell this product. This OMOTO Vortex is in deed made in Taiwan by OMOTO. in reality, Atlas buys from OMOTO and put their name on the reel. This Vortex is the same as the OMOTO VS series. That 26 lb is a lock down power. If you try to crank the handle in 26lb, it will bind the right side bearing. This reel will give you around 13lb with free spool. It is a good reel. OMOTO did copy from AVET on this reel. Not only OMOTO copied it, but also OMOTO improved it by using a little bigger right side bearing and AR bearing with a double dog.

On the other hand, I was able to test OMOTO's latest Triple reel (http://www.fishing-t...roduct1-tp.html). This reel have 52# while maintain free spool. We used this reel to pick up 46lbs dead weight (PRO Challenger Jigging Rod Lifting Part II - YouTube). We tried to pick up 50lbs, but it was hard to pick up 50lbs by some people. We also hooked the same rod and Triple reel with 52lb drag on the back of a car and drove 200 yards in 10mph. After that testing, we open the reel and it held up pretty good. If you can get your hand on one of those Triple reel, you should do so.

#10 Milkman

Milkman

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Hey Thunder, that first link doesn't work: http://www.fishing-t...roduct1-tp.html

#11 thunder5l

thunder5l

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

Hey Thunder, that first link doesn't work: http://www.fishing-t...roduct1-tp.html

Hey Milkman, I guess the site is being updated. That Triple is just like the Vortex. The inside is difference between them.

#12 pompeypat

pompeypat

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

Good feedback...thanks Thunder51 appreciated.

#13 thunder5l

thunder5l

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Here is the Triple reel. I know it also come with an aluminum T-bar or aluminum round handle knob. Have fun!

• Ratcheting lever drag control system with adjustable pre-set & strike stop button to prevent accidental advancement of full drag
  • Precision forged 6061-T6 aluminum and stainless steel components.
  • Precision machined stainless steel helical cut gears
  • 2-Speed gear ratio H:6.2:1 L:3.3:1
  • 6 stainless steel ball bearings
  • Reliable wet carbon fiber drags washer for superior stopping power, smoothness, and wear resistance.
  • Powerful, patented triple brake system
  • Up to 50lbs of drag at strike, while maintaining full free spool.
  • line-out alarm clicker

[attachment=39860:53526.attach]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users