- - - - -

Hollow core vs solid braid

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 areyouforreel

areyouforreel
  • LocationBrick, NJ

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Never fished hollow core before. Is thier an advantage to hollow core if you not splicing line? Can you tie knots just as well with hollow core? I was at Saltwater Seminar this weekend and the Shimano booth had hollow core Power Pro. I was surprised to learn that Shimano bought Power Pro out. I never liked green power pro at all but this new hollow core seemed like some quality line. Very smooth.

#2 holy cow

holy cow

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

Ask Basil

#3 JasonF

JasonF

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

IMO if you are not splicing, hollow has the disadvantage of less line on the reel.

You cant ask a braid question in this forum without getting "ask basil" or usually "just send your reel to basil and he will spool it"! :)

#4 d-a

d-a

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

Never fished hollow core before. Is thier an advantage to hollow core if you not splicing line? Can you tie knots just as well with hollow core? I was at Saltwater Seminar this weekend and the Shimano booth had hollow core Power Pro. I was surprised to learn that Shimano bought Power Pro out. I never liked green power pro at all but this new hollow core seemed like some quality line. Very smooth.

You don't have to splice hollow core, but that's one of the main advantages of it and why people are willing to pay more for it. If you have no desires to splice hollow core like some of us then it's best to use solid.

d-a

#5 Paulus

Paulus

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

Hi

Totally depends on brand and batch.

You will fish stronger with hollow so you can come down in abs.
Instead of fishing a solid braided line of 0.544mm with a 116lb abs with a knot bs of 80lb (being generous), go for the 0.430mm 60lb hollow abs 87lb, you fish more on the spool, stronger, thinner and little reduction in strength because of the join.

All you need to do is your home work and pick the correct lines.

Paulus

Paulus Just Fishing

#6 JasonF

JasonF

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Interesting that batch is a factor. You would think that there would be consistency in manufacturing. Are some manufacturers more consistent than others?

#7 Broadonrod

Broadonrod

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

Interesting that batch is a factor. You would think that there would be consistency in manufacturing. Are some manufacturers more consistent than others?

I have used about all of them deep dropping for swords and we have choosen Diamond Products.. With 2000'-3000' of line out on the bite the kine is tested in most extreeme conditions.. I have seen others fail a few times and have not broke a sword off in the last 200 with 80 solid diamond braid.. The solid will travel through the water better and also very important when we have 200o plus ft of line draging thru the water.. Just my opinion but Im sold on the Diamond braid for sure.. Capt. Ahab

#8 Paulus

Paulus

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

Hi

You do get a lot of variation in batches, differing machines, fiber, weave angles and tensions etc.

Look here.

http://www.360tuna.c...luations-32193/

Paulus

#9 Inspiro

Inspiro

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

Hi

Instead of fishing a solid braided line of 0.544mm with a 116lb abs with a knot bs of 80lb (being generous), go for the 0.430mm 60lb hollow abs 87lb, you fish more on the spool, stronger, thinner and little reduction in strength because of the join.

Paulus

Paulus Just Fishing

Dear Paulus, I thought the PR knot is stronger than that?! but actually I never did any testing

#10 Paulus

Paulus

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:37 AM

Dear Paulus, I thought the PR knot is stronger than that?! but actually I never did any testing

Hi Inspiro

Well it maybe great if you are using that knot, not all fisho's do although it's one of the best, well it is the best of a bad bunch, but the way you tie it (may versions) how would you know if it's good. Although you can test the knots yourself, as has been pointed out many times, what you cannot determine is the percentage of abs that your knot is, as the batches of braid vary more than greatly, and you cannot test braids true abs yourself.

You may say well say slight variations in strength is not a lot to worry about, but like i keep saying, differences between batches can be a lot more than you really want to know or even think about.
Mind you when in doubt go a solid to hollow splice, then to leader.

I have been tying to determine what causes this variation for some time, and now I have Honeywell looking at this with me.

I did two days testing on 15 samples of braided lines using the same fiber, only to find i could not find the magic number i was chasing, that was 58+lb best i got was 46lb, and i know it should be 58.

In order to find suitable lines to send in, I have had to pull out known samples of line, when you talk hollow (the ones of concern) its generally made from 100 denier so 60lb and 80 lb hollows are easy to find, the 60 varies between 77lb and 103lb, and retesting I have found about a half a lb here and there, so if anything the testing is better although not greatly different, which I am more than happy with.

As for the lines use, each to it's own area, and they all have their own areas of use, you need to access the your fishing requirements, hollow is strong no knots, but then i would not use it for jigging (I need to make a comment about that), a solid to hollow splice is always going to be stronger than a solid to leader join, again a line is chosen for and depends on if you need to balloon out, cast, jig or deep drop, its all different. If you want to go deep you need thin, if you need strength and some guarantee then go solid to hollow.

The only way you are going to know what you got is to test, if you are happy with the result you get thats great, and you may never break it,,, wear the join yes, but but you may need to take into account, the batches strength, a lot of difference between 77 and a 103.

I needed to make a note,,,, Some braids are temper treated and are very much smaller in diameter, you guys always talk about traditional lines that have been available, but its a changing world you live in.

I hope that i can find this magic info I am looking for, I will if time does not beat me.

As for all the hundreds of your bloody knots, yep i have all that BS sorted, it's in 3 baskets well maybe four.

Paulus
Shit after all this rambling, no time left for some more tests tonight.

#11 Triay85

Triay85
  • LocationGibraltar

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

I much prefer solid if you are not splicing.

Solid braid packs more and is much more streamline for the wind (casting) and water (drag, sinking)

#12 areyouforreel

areyouforreel
  • LocationBrick, NJ

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

I have used about all of them deep dropping for swords and we have choosen Diamond Products.. With 2000'-3000' of line out on the bite the kine is tested in most extreeme conditions.. I have seen others fail a few times and have not broke a sword off in the last 200 with 80 solid diamond braid.. The solid will travel through the water better and also very important when we have 200o plus ft of line draging thru the water.. Just my opinion but Im sold on the Diamond braid for sure.. Capt. Ahab

Thanks to all that replied.
Broadonrod, I am unfamiliar with diamond products. Do they have a metered braid? Currently I fish Daiwa 80lb metered braid and I have been very happy with it. I fish wind-on leaders, and I have no problem tying a bimini twist for my loop to loop connection. If I get broke off while on the water I just tie a uni to uni and keep on fishing. I assumed that there was a huge benefit to JB Hollow core since all the spool capacities posts are based on it. I was talking to the local tackle store and they told me that they hate JB Hollow because as it gets used and broken in it is very difficult to splice.

#13 holy cow

holy cow

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

Hi Paulus:
Is a PR better with Hollow over a Surgeons Knot. And does a PR (50 turns +/- / about 2") knot hold reasonably well compared to a serve splice windon? thank you mate.

Hi

Paulus

Paulus Just Fishing

#14 Paulus

Paulus

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

Hi Paulus:
Is a PR better with Hollow over a Surgeons Knot. And does a PR (50 turns +/- / about 2") knot hold reasonably well compared to a serve splice windon? thank you mate.

Hi
Look at it like this.

Is a PR better with Hollow over a Surgeons Knot,,,, Which PR ??, (the one with the same amount of turns going down or the one that has a slow spiral down) and then which surgeons.

Posted Image

And does a PR (50 turns +/- / about 2") knot hold reasonably well compared to a serve splice windon?
Again more thought, the windon is stronger every time.
But.
That also depends on whether you are talking attaching it to a solid braid with a loop or a hollow loop, the hollow is stronger, keep in mind loop to loop joins need to be at least 3 times through.

A solid loop to get it strong enough is more good luck than good tying management.

You know it has me stuffed as to why windons have a loop at the end, why not make it as a pullon system, and do away with the loop to loop.
Paulus

#15 Inspiro

Inspiro

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:35 AM

Dear Paulus, now I'm totally lost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users