Photo
- - - - -

JIGNPOP Bluefin Cape Cod trip in 2012

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#1 ksong

ksong

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

Bluefin jigging/popping in Cape Cod is around the corner.
I am going to post info and trip reports for bluefin in Cape Cod in 2012 here.
I don't arrange any trip in advance because of my uncertain business /fishing trip schedules. It cost to arrange a fishing trip with top-notch Capts like Dom, Josh or Jimmy the Greek.
If anyone who can not make a commitment in advance, but can go on a short notice, let me know. I'll compile list for short notice trips. I'll try to find the best boats available.

-----------------

JIGNPOP - Kilsong's Jigging World
JIGNPOP Forum

#2 hyperman

hyperman

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

Let me know if something happens July 3 or 5th. I'll be up there anyway.

#3 ksong

ksong

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

Let me know if something happens July 3 or 5th. I'll be up there anyway.

I'll put you on the list. We have ICAST Show in Florida in mid July. If I can not make a trip with you, I'll try to arrange a trip for you.
Early July is a good time. We had great trips in early July in 2010, but fishing was pretty slow from late June last year except a few charter boat Capt. I hope they are biting when you come.

-----------------

JIGNPOP Forum

#4 Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'll put you on the list. We have ICAST Show in Florida in mid July. If I can not make a trip with you, I'll try to arrange a trip for you.
Early July is a good time. We had great trips in early July in 2010, but fishing was pretty slow from late June last year except a few charter boat Capt. I hope they are biting when you come.

-----------------

JIGNPOP Forum

Hi Kil,

When you go with a great guide, you definitely increase your chance when the bite isn't all that great. Capt. Rich from Black Rose, Capt. Jeff on Fin Addiction, along with Josh, Jimmy and I all co operate which helps us stay on the fish. Even though we all have different styles and approaches, we all work hard to make the day enjoyable, safe and successful.I know you are a hardcore fisherman and are into too many different fisheries to list, but I appreciate you remembering the Cape and helping to bring guys to this great fishery. I know that when the bite is hot and you have to get up here, all of the captains will do what we can to put you on the fish.

Hoping the fish show in numbers, that we have a wide open bite, and soon.....I have already started looking around, and signs point to a very early start.:cool:

#5 ksong

ksong

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

Hi Kil,

When you go with a great guide, you definitely increase your chance when the bite isn't all that great. Capt. Rich from Black Rose, Capt. Jeff on Fin Addiction, along with Josh, Jimmy and I all co operate which helps us stay on the fish. Even though we all have different styles and approaches, we all work hard to make the day enjoyable, safe and successful.I know you are a hardcore fisherman and are into too many different fisheries to list, but I appreciate you remembering the Cape and helping to bring guys to this great fishery. I know that when the bite is hot and you have to get up here, all of the captains will do what we can to put you on the fish.

Hoping the fish show in numbers, that we have a wide open bite, and soon.....I have already started looking around, and signs point to a very early start.:cool:

Dom,
Shin left for Korea tonight and two-week long fishing trips are over.
I am not surprised you catch first bluefin in Cape Cod by mid May as the first bluefin was caught in Chicken Canyon today. I am leaving for Korea for business in a few days and I am looking forward to hearing your first bluefin catch when I come back from Korea trip.

I agree with you 100 percent. There are times only certain Capt or group who share info each other can catch tuna in Cape Cod. To charter you, Cap Josh, Capt Rich, Capt Jeff or Capt Jimmy who work together is a great advantage and has definitely better chances of hookups.
All are not average Capt and I can attest all of them are hard workers.

So far, there are six fishermen who asked their names on the short notice list.
I hope we have at least 12 fishermen on the list.

-----------------

JIGNPOP Forum

#6 Black Rose

Black Rose

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

I never thought about the info-sharing much until we had fishermen from other parts of the country amazed that I would be calling other captains in on a hot bite or when they heard Dom screaming on the radio to "get the hell over here as fast as you can, I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU HAVE THERE, YOU HAVE TO GET HERE!!!!!!". Dom is the quarterback in the group. Type A to the core. Hardest fisherman I have ever seen. BY FAR. And most successful without equal for the bluefin tuna up here. We're all past first names here on the radio. We just know the voices. When people were shocked that we share info, I just shook my head. "Why doesn't everyone do this?"

We all have different styles, that's for sure! We do all bust our humps, though, to get you on fish. We're not clones, but neither are you. You all have different attitudes and we do to. This is good for you all because much of fishing is fishing, it's not catching. And much of fishing is people.

The only problem with waiting for the bite to be wide open, however, is that finding an available boat may not happen. The great thing, though, looking back at my reports and schedules, is that VERY RARELY DO WE HAVE TO CANCEL A TRIP IN JUNE, JULY, OR AUGUST BECAUSE OF BAD WEATHER! That's pretty incredible.

See you guys on the water! It's great putting people behind the avatars and screen names.
Capt. Rich Antonino
Black Rose Fishing Charters, 508-269-1882
www.blackrosefishing.com
Check us out on Facebook for timely info AND SHARED CHARTER INFO!
We specialize in 1-4 person charters on Cape Cod and Massachusetts. Bluefin tuna on jigging and spinning gear and light tackle cod, haddock, and stripers.
Life is short; get out there while you can.

#7 ksong

ksong

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

I highly recommend to book in advance as most prime dates are gone fast, especially if you want to fish top notch Capt. Sharing info among Capt is vital as any boat can not cover from Stellwagen Bank to Chatham on a single day trip. Capt Dom, Capt Josh, Capt Rich, Capt Jeff and Capt Jimmy share info and that is a huge advantage if you fish with one of them. Most of all, they all are hard workers.
However, there are guys who can not commit themselves in advance due to other uncertain things.
I have about 10 - 12 fishermen on the list.
I am leaving for Korea on Wed and I expect Capt Dom can find tuna when I come back from the trip.

----------------

JIGNPOP Forum

#8 Locke N Load

Locke N Load
  • LocationMA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

Finding the tuna is not only sharing intel, but being on the water every day. These guys know where the fish are and then can tell where they will be the next day. It may take a little searching around and sharing the info, but they find them. That is the difference between the captains and the rest of the amateurs out there. Us amateurs are searching blind hoping to get lucky. Can't wait for June.

#9 ksong

ksong

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

Finding the tuna is not only sharing intel, but being on the water every day. These guys know where the fish are and then can tell where they will be the next day. It may take a little searching around and sharing the info, but they find them. That is the difference between the captains and the rest of the amateurs out there. Us amateurs are searching blind hoping to get lucky. Can't wait for June.

That is fact and true.
That is why I don't recommend to trailer boats to fish bluefin in Cape Cod unless they really want to enjoy fishing on their own boats. My success rate of catching bluefin on private boats in Cape Cod was lower than 20 percent in last three years.

---------------

JIGNPOP Forum

#10 FDFisherman

FDFisherman

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

Kil,

Keep me informed of any openings on these trips.

Thanks,
Vinnie

#11 ksong

ksong

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

Kil,

Keep me informed of any openings on these trips.

Thanks,
Vinnie

I'll put you on the list.
Bluefin were spotted off SE Corner as well as off Chatham. It is just a matter of time the first bluefin is caught on poppers.

---------------

JIGNPOP Forum

#12 Ron Z

Ron Z

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:23 AM

Kil
First bluefin i know off was hook and lost Sunday off of chatham on a RONZ by a lobster boat setting gear, said they was a very good size school busting. said it was to big for his gear. They only have tackle that could handle 100 lbers. I quess it's time for the jig & Pop pro's to put some in the boat. Let me know when your down

#13 Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

Kil
First bluefin i know off was hook and lost Sunday off of chatham on a RONZ by a lobster boat setting gear, said they was a very good size school busting. said it was to big for his gear. They only have tackle that could handle 100 lbers. I quess it's time for the jig & Pop pro's to put some in the boat. Let me know when your down

I got them in my crosshairs, Ron. this weekend for sure.

#14 FDFisherman

FDFisherman

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

Dom, Do you and the other BF guys run open for these trips or strictly charter? Looking to jump on a trip but getting a charter together is almost impossible.

#15 ksong

ksong

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

Three giants were caught in MA water today. Two on troll and one on live bait.
I plan to make my first trip to Cape Cod on Friday.

----------------

JIGNPOP Forum

#16 outermostangling

outermostangling

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

Kil thanks for the prop at the top of the post, and good luck on your first trip up here. I have got some good intel and when this East wind lays down it should go off.. Water temp is good and the bait is thick..

Josh

www.outermostangling.com
Outermost Angling Charters | Facebook

Edited by outermostangling, 21 May 2012 - 08:32 PM.

#17 Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Dom, Do you and the other BF guys run open for these trips or strictly charter? Looking to jump on a trip but getting a charter together is almost impossible.

I do regular open boat trips, as well as private. I am sorry I haven't answered sooner, been flat out.

Edited by Capt. Dom, 21 May 2012 - 07:45 PM.

#18 ksong

ksong

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

Kil thanks for the prop at the top of the post, and good luck on your first trip up here. I have got some good intel and when this Easterly lays down it should go off.. Water temp is good and the bait is thick..

Josh

www.outermostangling.com
Outermost Angling Charters | Facebook

Hi Josh,
It is a scup/seabass trip arranged for a guy from Burmuda, but I plan to persuade them to fish bluefin instead.
I can smell tuna are there. :)

----------------

JIGNPOP Forum

#19 ksong

ksong

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

We found them. It was very foggy this morning, but fog cleared by 9:00 am and we could see pretty far.
There were whales and birds !!!
The first cast in Cape Cod this season resulted in big swirl around my FCL LABO CPS220S.
We tried hard for an hour without success. Guys are more interested in taking pictures/videos of whale show than cating poppers as they never seen whale on the boat before. :)

Capt Jimmy found tuna running 100 miles from Chatham, Race Point, SE Conner and south of Chatham last year on the first trip last year and he did it again. No boat was around us as in last year.
We felt we got there a little too late because 10:00 am was slack time and action slowed down after 10:00 am.

We had a great seabass jigging in the afternoon. Many were in 4 - 5 lb range and it was fun to catch them on light tackle.

I'll post about seabass jigging in separate thread.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

----------------

JIGNPOP Forum

#20 rracer333

rracer333

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

Hey Kil, please put me on your list. I am 6 hours away, but my schedule is fairly flexable.

Rick

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users