Photo
- - - - -

Vertical jigging set-up for blackfin tuna...?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 2168harvest

2168harvest

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

Looking into purchasing a jigging rod and reel for jigging blackfin tuna off the coast of NC (15lb-40lb fish range). I am left handed and prefer spinning set-ups; however, I am not opposed to a conventional set-up. I am very open minded and I am looking for some suggestions on:

Off-the-shelf rod and or rod blank recommendations (any price range)?
Spinning reel and conventional reel suggestions (any price range)?

I have a Stella 20000SW for BFT, but don't want to spend THAT much for a blackfin set-up.

Thank you in advance for your recommendation.

Edited by 2168harvest, 10 April 2012 - 03:49 PM.

#2 jurys in

jurys in

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

spinning go with 8kswpg or saltiga 4500h. conventionals i use accurate 600 narrow left hand.

#3 Terminator Tackle

Terminator Tackle

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

Great Combo right here... There is also a promotion going with Atlas where you get a free power handle.. Look in the Market place forum for that.

Offshore Jigging Combos
Captain Joe
TERMINATOR TACKLE
* Custom Jigging & Popping Rods
* Reels
* Jigs & Poppers
* Reel Knobs
* Blanks
* Rod Building Components

***Authorized Jigging Master Dealer***
Shop Online Now!!
www.TerminatorTackle.com
Have A Question? Give us a Call Toll Free @
(855) My-Tackle

#4 capt. jakeg

capt. jakeg

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

You can use the smaller avets on the penn jigging rods and have a setup that will handle the blackfins and most of the other stuff you will encounter over the rocks in nc for around $400 a setup. I use them regularly for blackfins and no issues. You need something with enough backbone to get them up quick past the sharks. If you fight them for more than 2 or 3 minutes, they usually get eaten. I have several avets and some diawa saltists, some toriums, and for the money the avets are by far the better imo. Ive blown the sides off of some of the smaller diawas and the antireverse dies on the toriums. Also On the cheap I have some penn 750 ss loaded with braid that I usually use for cobias that seem to do ok for the blackfins too. Steer clear of the diawa rods. Have had several breaks on them.

#5 DoubleA

DoubleA

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

my all time favorite setup - which just happens to be perfect for BlkFT.

Stella 8000SWPG and a Blackhole 250g - get a custom rod, not a factory. my factory rods werent built on the blank's spine, which kind of irked me BUT i do think that the BH250 is the best rod ever made!

you could get a 8k sustain if you dont want to pay for the stella. mine has been 100% jigging including a monster wahoo.

8k Sustain w/ PP 60 (I DO NOT RECOMMEND PP, its just what was on that reel) and a 6'6" Trevala MH
[attachment=28705:37770.attach]

#6 Capt Richie

Capt Richie

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

United Composites CXJ602 or 6002...The 6000 blanks are parabolic were the 600 blank shut off..

Atlantic Custom Rod & Tackle

atlcustomrod@yahoo.com

516-780-5993

Custom Crafted Fishing Rods at an afforable price.
For the Professional & Recreational Angler

Inshore / Offshore / Jigging & Popping

Custom AR Blanks by United Composite
Calstar Blanks & Rods
Phenix Blanks & Rods
Phenix Jigging & Popping blanks
United Composite Blanks
St Croix Blanks

Charters service Marathon Fl Keys & Long Island NY...
Please call for details....All boats have Atlantic Custom rods...

#7 2168harvest

2168harvest

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Thank you for the input guys! I think I am going to go with an 8k sustain and a custom built Bushido 5'8" MH jigging blacnk.

#8 Crashmister

Crashmister

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Stay with the Sustain 8K, but go with something like a Stellar lite in the SGJ59XXH range. It's a moderately priced set up that will handel 50 to 200 Lb Braid and 120 to 325 gram Jigs. It's a bit heavier than the Bushido but ready to fish, it's about the same price of just the Bushido blank. I don't get to jig as much as I would like so it's hard to justify a high end set up. This fit well within my budget and works very well for me. That said, if you can do the Bushido, you won't be sorry. JMHO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users