Photo
- - - - -

How often do you need to service your Stella?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NETuna

NETuna

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

Only used my Stella 20000sw a couple times this year, spraying it down after each use.

Is there anything more intensive I should be doing? Does Shimano offer a mail-in regular maintanance program?

Thanks

#2 lordhell

lordhell
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

With proper cleanup and spray down each time the reel is used, you don't necessarily have to send it in unless you feel the reel is performing differently such as strange sounds or reel handle is hard to turn.

#3 johndtuttle

johndtuttle

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:18 PM

I would be sure to inspect the drag for any water (very simple, and it is sealed but when you take the knob off you can sometimes find salt crystals under the cap that will pit the spool. As well, the line roller needs a regular squirt of corrosion-x (do not use wd-40) as insurance against salt getting into the bearings in there.

There's a port with a screw on the body and some corrosion-x can be put on the gears in there once in a while if they start feeling dry.

#4 masonboro

masonboro

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

Good thread.

#5 lordhell

lordhell
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

I use Reel Magic spray for storage of my reel after use. I spray my entire reel including the line (keeps the braid in great condition). You can get a big bottle that will last you quite a good while from Academy.

#6 masonboro

masonboro

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

Just curious, how is Reel Magic good for braid?

#7 MikeF

MikeF

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

I clean mine after every use with freshwater and a towel. Once a month I spray them with reel cleaner and wipe then down. With all of that I still send them out for service every year to Shimano for Platinum Service.

#8 TS18997

TS18997

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

If you have bought a used one, send it out for a baseline cleaning and service. I felt nothing wrong with my recently bought 10Kfa but sent it for service. I got it back in tip top shape with an invoice saying in addition to the cleaning, they replaced an ARB bearing (best part price I saw online was $84), and the roller clutch asmbly ($40). Everything cost me $30, period. Nuff said.

#9 lordhell

lordhell
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:00 AM

Just curious, how is Reel Magic good for braid?

It's also a line conditioner, works great to renew and bring back the color of braid. Try it out, you will be impressed. Just clean and dry your reel with microfiber towel, let the reel dry for an hour, spray on the Reel Magic, let the Reel Magic dry off overnight and store the reels with the drag backed off.

#10 NETuna

NETuna

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

I use Reel Magic spray for storage of my reel after use. I spray my entire reel including the line (keeps the braid in great condition). You can get a big bottle that will last you quite a good while from Academy.

Can this be purchased on line or at a chain store? (nevermind, I found it--its called "Blakemore Reel Magic")

However, does anyone else have familiarity with the product before I spray it on a $1000 reel with $150 worth of color coded braid? ;)

Thanks, will definitely look into this.

#11 IgotSnagged

IgotSnagged

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:22 AM

Can this be purchased on line or at a chain store? (nevermind, I found it--its called "Blakemore Reel Magic")

However, does anyone else have familiarity with the product before I spray it on a $1000 reel with $150 worth of color coded braid? ;)

Thanks, will definitely look into this.

Ham sprays it on all 15 of his $1000 reels.....I think it's safe :D . Ever since he told me about it, I've been doing the same. It works very well and my braid does seem to last alot longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users