Photo
- - - - -

Harness for spinning

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ksong

ksong

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

Fighting 200 lbs tuna without harness is a pain.
I have been looking for right harness lugs for spinning.
There are a few harness rings available in the market.

-Braid Spinning Reel Rest
-Aftco Fighting Harness Spin Strp
-Ring Colors Ring

I tested all of them. Ring Colors Ring is nice, but it bothers my palm much when casting with spinning reels. But I think it is excellent choice for conventional reels without harness lugs.

Aftco and Braid's harness strap are very similar.
I could fight comfortably with Braid Spinning Reel Rest for big yellowfin on the long range trip and big bluefin in Cape Cod.
You usually attach it after you hook up. I become a little nervous when trying to attach it after hookup as it could give slack line and lose fish. You could cast with attached strip ring, but the metal rings bothers a little bit while casting.

So, here is my next experimentation of round strap ring as shown in the pictures.
It doesn't cost much and you even can make them with the right length you want.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can use it for conventional reels without harness lug if you use a rod with trigger reel seat
Posted Image

Posted Image

-----------------

Kilsong's Jigging World~JIGNPOP.COM~ Saltwater Fishing Store

#2 hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

The cable configuration that Black Magic mkes to go with their harnesses works very well. Easy to strap into and does not need to be mounted to the rod while fishing....just wrap it through and snap in.

#3 Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

Hi Kil ,
In 2004 , Pat Victorino was fishing with a couple friends on mine from Oz in Sumba n Komodo , he used harness for spinning but tied it wrongly causing the stem of the reel to break due to pressure of the harness was on the stem when fighting a strong GT . They were able to recover what left of the reel but it took a few of them to hold the rod , the line to the fish and retrieving the broken reel which has dropped into the sea then . If I am not mistaken , his contraption was very much like the first 2 pictures of yours , may be it pays to ask his opinion on this .

Jon .

#4 ksong

ksong

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:54 PM

Hi Kil ,
In 2004 , Pat Victorino was fishing with a couple friends on mine from Oz in Sumba n Komodo , he used harness for spinning but tied it wrongly causing the stem of the reel to break due to pressure of the harness was on the stem when fighting a strong GT . They were able to recover what left of the reel but it took a few of them to hold the rod , the line to the fish and retrieving the broken reel which has dropped into the sea then . If I am not mistaken , his contraption was very much like the first 2 pictures of yours , may be it pays to ask his opinion on this .

Jon .

Jon, that is my concern too.
One guy told me he saw TV fishing show the other day ane a guy fighting fish without stem of the Saltiga spinning reel as it got broken while fighting.

----------------

#5 afraser

afraser

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

I'd say it has to wrap around the rod for it to be secure and minimize pressure on the reel stem. I wouldn't trust what you are showing for the conventional for sure and the spinning setup looks like it could slip down and put too much pressure on the stem. I too have been thinking of an alternative connecting point for a spinning rod that wouldn't bother your hands during casting.

Something could be incorporated into a reel seat before assembling the rod that would be flush with the reel seat itself. Having vertical slots in the reel seat could work. But that doesn't help for rods already assembled.

#6 ksong

ksong

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

Until I find a better solution, I am going to try it.
If the stem gets broken, I'll use another reel. That is it. :)

-------------------------

#7 Sageboy

Sageboy

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

It will work just fine. We have done it with no issues. You just have to figure out the right size loop and once you have your good to go. I have 2 different sizes I keep hanging over the rocket launcher for when the time comes.

#8 ty2philly

ty2philly
  • LocationBay Area CA - Philly PA

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

Kilsong,

I had a similar question a year ago and attached are the photos of a solution I came up with last year.

Ty

#9 fishordie

fishordie

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

TY Philly has a similar idea to mine except I was going to take a similar nylon strap with the D hooks and just glue on some velcro on either side of where the strap would wrap around the front of the reel and then just hook up into the d rings as needed. You can also use a pipe cleaner or similar material to keep the d rings up right (Up side down) on the spin reels for ease of hooking your quick release hooks into. I prefer the Braid Power Play brand of harness, plate and drop straps as this gear has the most amount of adjustment for the needed conditions. I will bring some stuff to Panama in
April if I can get off my butt and get it done.

Jamie

#10 tmack9200

tmack9200

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

I was givin a braid strap, works just fine, to the best of my knowledge there is no pressure on the stem, no matter what I do I can't get the strap to slip up on teh stem part, it stays secure on the reel seat..

I keep the strap on my belt and it attaches quickly once I hook up, that way its not flopping around while casting..

Posted Image

#11 ahistick

ahistick

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

Ahh, my secret plan is out of the bag...I had the same thought as Kil.

I went to my local REI and they had the loops that Kil has photos of in his post. I was gonna get one long enough to loop around the reel foot and reel seat and zip it together. I'd use the Braid quick-release straps to hook into each end of the looped strap.

Total cost...under 6 dollars...This sewn runners are for mountain/rock climbing so strength is not an issue.

Keep us posted Kil!

#12 ksong

ksong

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

Total cost...under 6 dollars...This sewn runners are for mountain/rock climbing so strength is not an issue.

Keep us posted Kil!

Yes , this one is for mountain/rock climbing. :)

-------------------

#13 ghever

ghever

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

Yes , this one is for mountain/rock climbing. :)

-------------------

Kil now you are going to start rock climbing? hahaha... :)

Good idea, strapping in while fighting big fish is always scary and there is always a potential to lose a fish, no matter how you harness up.

It's all part of our fishing fun right? :)

#14 thynnus

thynnus

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:41 PM

Kil et all, please don't use any spinning rod assist strap except for the Braid product. I lost an a very expensive spinning rod & reel combo two seasons ago and another member of our club lost a stella 20k combo this past year due to failures with the Aftco strap. My parted in the middle on a 50 inch BFT off Chatham and another guy had the welded ring of his Aftco strap open and he lost a very expensive combo. The Braid spinning rod assist strap works great and is built to withstand the pressure of a big fish. Don't make the same $1500 mistake I did, get the Braid!

#15 mythosbeer

mythosbeer

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

Anybody have any comments about the Smitty's strap that comes with the shoulder harness?

#16 ksong

ksong

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:41 PM

Anybody have any comments about the Smitty's strap that comes with the shoulder harness?

That is for smaller fish, not for 200 lbs class tuna.

------------------------

#17 ty2philly

ty2philly
  • LocationBay Area CA - Philly PA

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

In addition to my home made spinning strap I used the AFTCO and the Braid products. Of the three the Braid is actually my favorite.

I especially like how the Braid Spinning Harness has a slot for the strap to criss-cross over the rod.

Kilsong,
From the photo you have posted it looks like the strap can move around during a fight.

Ty

#18 ahistick

ahistick

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:42 AM

[quote name='ksong']Yes , this one is for mountain/rock climbing. :)

Here are two runners I got at my local outdoor store...the blue wider one is a 25 cm size and the thinner one is a 12" model...the tensile strength are 22 kN and 27 kN respectively (one kN = 224.8 pounds of force). The one Kil originally posted is rated similarly. Total price for both: under $9.00 :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users