Photo
- - - - -

best 1911 style gun??

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 jiggawhat

jiggawhat

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:28 AM

anybody own a kimber or springfield 1911 style gun.Looking to buy a new gun and wondering whats the best but not the most expensive.have a glock already so looking for comments please.Thanks Rob

#2 anw0625

anw0625

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

Kimber all the way!! The lower end Springfield is too loose imo.

#3 Anuvat

Anuvat
  • LocationLongiland

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:39 AM

Kimber, bar none. Quality, workmanship second to no one.

#4 jiggawhat

jiggawhat

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

any experience with a certain model.I like the custom carry 2 or match target

#5 waterman482

waterman482

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:47 AM

any experience with a certain model.I like the custom carry 2 or match target

I have the tactical entry 2 and can say the gun is perfect! sure there are fancier makes like ed browns, wislon combat but they also come with a much heavier pricetag! For the money you can not beat kimbers quality,accuracy and customer sefvice

#6 anw0625

anw0625

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:48 AM

Custom carry 2 for the price. All are great and can not go wrong with any of them.

#7 Guest_red34_*

Guest_red34_*

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

I've always heard good things about a Wilson Combat

Wilson Combat Makers Of The Finest Custom 1911 Handguns In The World

#8 waterman482

waterman482

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

I've always heard good things about a Wilson Combat

Wilson Combat Makers Of The Finest Custom 1911 Handguns In The World

A kimber tactical entry 2 retails for just a tad over 1400, the Wilson combat CQB tactical with rail retails for 2775$ I guess it just depends how much you like your .45's

#9 Taz575

Taz575

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

I have a CBOB from Dan Wesson, it's awesome. My mom has a Les Baer Comanche and my dad has my Springfield WW2 GI repro I customized. Kimbers are ok, but many change out some of the internal parts and I prefer a Series 70 w/o the firing pin safety. Look for a SA Loaded or a TRP; nice, basic guns. Or a used Les Baer, Dan Wesson, etc.

CBOB on top, Les Baer on bottom:
Posted Image
Full size Springer customized:
Posted Image

I like a commander size for carry and a full size for the range. Ordered up a Caspian Recon frame, 5" slide and a Kart barrel to build up my own.

TONS of info here:
1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin

#10 thenewkid

thenewkid

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

anyone got any experience w this?

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
~Tony~
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink.

#11 Taz575

Taz575

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

Tony, when the snows clears out, I will take ya shooting so you can shoot a real 1911!

I got bored at the range one day :) 10 yds with my full size Springfield that I customized, 30 shots IIRC?
Posted Image

I had a Kimber Pro Shadow 2 as my first 1911. Aluminum frame Commander and I was shooting fairly stout loads from it and developed a nasty flinch. I just wasn't ready for that gun. I tried a full size Custom 2 and it was much easier to shoot. I was recently looking for a Commander size gun for my mom (she wanted to buy my CBOB and I kept telling her no) and looked at a used Kimber Pro Raptor. It just seemed sloppy to me with the way the parts were fit and felt blah. Then I found the used Commanche from Les Baer for $1300 in mint condition, so she went to the store and bought it. On a nicer, more expensive gun, the parts fit together better, feel better, less slop in the gun and feel more solid while shooting and the accuracy will last longer as will the parts.

View of the CBOB from the back:
Posted Image
The frame and slide are lapped together, so they contact in more places and the pistol feels solid to shoot. If a gun is looser, you can actually feel the play when the slide is cycling back and forth.

SigArms GSR's are supposed to be nice, S&W has 1911's, Remington has a basic one out now that is decent, etc. I would go to a gun store and handle a few different types, styles, brands and figure out what you like and don't like. A traditional style 1911 or 1911A1, look at the SA, Colt, Remington, etc. See what type of beavertail safety you like, if you want a full size or something smaller, light rail or no rail, ambi thumb safety or single sided safety, checkered front strap or not, etc and figure out exactly what you want! Spending $1000 on a 1911 and then another $300-$700 on parts to change out or refit existing parts sucks unless that it what you planned on doing with it!

There are lots of choices out there for 1911's now (HAPPY 100th Birthday!!) and you need to shop around to see what features you want/need and what gun fits those needs and your budget.

#12 cabosandinh

cabosandinh
  • LocationRepublic of Texas

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:43 AM

Kimber Eclipse or Gold Match,
Ultra CDP if u want to carry

my range gun is Wilson SuperGrade
and Kimber GoldMatch. I hunt with Eclipse
and carry CDP and Eclipse Ultra

#13 JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

Products & Services

Just curious to know how many Rods/Reels you bring with you on a Trip either local or traveling?

so many that you get those looks from others like "WTF is he doing"

#14 Astronut

Astronut

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

Sprinfield 45 Trophy Match..IMO

astro..

#15 d-a

d-a

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

I would have thought all you Texans would have said STI. There who i would get a ready to shoot .45 from. I built several on there frames and slides and they have the best machining and fit of all of them
STI International - STI

d-a
The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.

#16 waterman482

waterman482

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

If you really want to go all out STI International - Complete Gun Index

#17 Taz575

Taz575

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

More links for ya:

CZ-USA -> Dan Wesson products

Fusion firearms, custom packages that are very reasonable price wise:
Fusion Firearms

#18 cabosandinh

cabosandinh
  • LocationRepublic of Texas

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

I would have thought all you Texans would have said STI. There who i would get a ready to shoot .45 from. I built several on there frames and slides and they have the best machining and fit of all of them
STI International - STI

d-a

I had 2 STI. Extreme accurate
but Wilson SG is much nicer so I sold them

#19 jiggawhat

jiggawhat

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

i heard with 1911 they need more maintanance since they have tighter tolerances.More jamming problems compared to composite guns.the guy at the shop was trying to talk me out of the 1911's

#20 Taz575

Taz575

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

Old wives tails. A properly fit 1911 can be tight and reliable! My CBOB has 600-800 rds thru it, no jams. And its tight! I even went over 200 rds, including dirty Wolf ammo, no cleaning and then ran 2 mags of assorted hollowpoints thru it w/o problems. ANY firearm should be lubed properly, but they should also work dry.

As for the Glocks, yeah, I have some and owned more. First glock 17 I had went full auto on me at the range within 3000 rounds. Sent back to Glock, they fixed something, next time at IDPA, I noticed that the rear frame rail had sheared off when I cleaned it the next day. Glock has had known issues with the .40S&W cartridge. The Gen 3 frames with light rails had issues with lights mounted on them and the flexing problems, so they came out with the newer Gen 4 and RTF to try to solve it, supposedly there are still some issues. They work OK usually, but don't fit my hands very well.

No gun is perfect! 1911's have tighter tolerances, and when they are correct, they run. If someone just swaps out a trigger, extractor, safety, etc and doesn't know how to fit the parts properly, the gun may not work correctly. I have a friend who bought a Kimber and then spent a total of $3200 (including the stock gun) and it still doesn't work properly! I got a SA WW2 GI that had a messed up barrel and ejector, fitted a new barrel and bushing, grip safety, hammer/sear/trigger, etc and it shoots awesome! 1911's aren't a drop in gun like a Glock is! Some parts may drop in, others need to be fitted to the gun because of individual tolerances and others need to be fitted because they are left oversized to be fit to a gun for better functioning.

For me, the 1911 fits my hand very nicely, shoots accurately and just feels pleasant to shoot. The Glocks slice up the back of my hand, most double stack Sigs are too fat for my hands, tried the HK's, CZ-75's and I keep coming back to the 1911. I used to like my Kimber when I had it, but I didn't like the bull barrel and full length guide rod setup. Since then, I have handled a number of 1911's and the Kimbers are a decent entry gun, like a SA Loaded, but I appreciate a more refined 1911, like a SA TRP, Les Baer, Dan Wesson, etc.

For a full size, look for a Springfield TRP or a DW Valor, around $1400-$1500 if you shop around, maybe less for the SA. These are pretty much the best bang for the buck in full size 1911's out there IMHO! Very nicely put together, high quality parts properly fit, etc. Well worth the extra $$$ over a basic Kimber!

Oh yeah, check out Patrick Sweeney's Books of the 1911 Vol 1 and Vol 2, he has GREAT reviews of each 1911, torture testing, etc and explains a ton of info about the 1911. I consider these must have's for any 1911 enthusiast!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users