Photo
- - - - -

Talica 20ii vs. Accurate Bx2-30

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sharkfisher3300

sharkfisher3300

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:34 PM

I need some help here. I hope someone can give me some insight into something I haven't learned about the two reels already. About 2 months ago I learned that Shimano was coming out with a Talica 20 2 speed and when I went looking for the reel, most people told me I probably wouldn't be able to put one in my hands until December. And even Kilsong had said that he hadn't seen one at that point. So at the beginning of September I had my local dealer order in an Accurate Bx2-30 because that was going to be my other choice. When I went down to pick up the reel, the guy was like "hey look what I got in today," the new Talica 20ii. Now I'm stuck because the Accurate is supposed to be a great, smooth very strong reel and the Talicas are supposed to be nice too and this Talica was awesome.
They are very similar in size, line capacity and the Shimano is supposed to be able to produce more drag and even though it is not an instant anti-reverse with the shimano, it does have a twin pawl system where the Accurate only has the anti reverse bearing that I heard may have issues burning out with bigger longer fish runs. I'll be using the reel mostly at the Northeast canyons for yellowfin but getting into some bluefin would not be uncommon and I would like it to perform as well. The rod I'm putting it on is a Calstar 800h that was custom made for me.
The only thing I would like different on the Talica 20 would be to put a bigger handle on like the Accurate which I see some people have done on their Talica 16's. Other than that, I've never once had a problem with a Shimano conventional reel where I have had some quirky things happen with an Accurate.

#2 jsr

jsr

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:01 PM

2.4 low gear is a thought double dogs or not
i think about other lower geared options for a 2 speed reel
bx2-30 is not a 200+ reel either

#3 Stryper

Stryper

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

Its a toss-up I have used both, and still like the Accurate although the next BX2-30 would be the narrow.

#4 lordhell

lordhell
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:02 PM

If you're not too strung up on having a 2 speed, I would recommend the Torsa 40. It's an incredible reel, a real winch that can drag pretty much anything up from the deep. :) Comes factory ready to dish out over 50lbs of drag and can hold 575yds of 100lb JB hollow with room for 75yd 100lb mono top shot. I have one mounted on a Calstar GraFighter 755H and it's been great.

#5 sharkfisher3300

sharkfisher3300

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:28 AM

2.4 low gear is a thought double dogs or not
i think about other lower geared options for a 2 speed reel
bx2-30 is not a 200+ reel either

Accurate claims the reel has taken numerous cows over 200 and since no one really knows much about the shimano the only thing i've heard was that the talica 25ii took a 180lb bigeye with no issues and are you saying the 2.4 low gear is a good thought or a bad one

#6 sharkfisher3300

sharkfisher3300

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:33 AM

If you're not too strung up on having a 2 speed, I would recommend the Torsa 40. It's an incredible reel, a real winch that can drag pretty much anything up from the deep. :) Comes factory ready to dish out over 50lbs of drag and can hold 575yds of 100lb JB hollow with room for 75yd 100lb mono top shot. I have one mounted on a Calstar GraFighter 755H and it's been great.

I'll check it out, I don't know if the guys got one in stock and he's already got the other two reels sitting there so we'll have to see.

#7 NCbluewater

NCbluewater

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:03 PM

50 pounds of drag, a 80 wide has 44 pounds of drag and is built like a tank, the gears and everything. It would destroy any of the cute 600 dollar reels that fit into your hands if you tied both together, the drag on the little reel would be stripped! What am i missing by the crazy drag readings printed now days on "jigging stuff?" IF the 80wide "only" generates 44 then why do these small reels print such high ratings? Why cant the 80 wide print 200 pounds of drag? The hulk would not be able to hold 50 pounds of drag, and he would do good to hold 30 stand up. The reels in question in this email are decent size reels, but a lot of the reels smaller than these that fit in a 13 year old girls hands come with 50 pound readings also.

sorry to take the thread hostage, but just curious to these crazy claims by so many reel companies.

#8 sharkfisher3300

sharkfisher3300

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:38 PM

I know some of these drag ratings are obscene but I'm not really concerned with the drag pressure, just the smoothness and function of the drag. More concerned with the Accurate having only anti reverse bearings which I heard heat up and fail with bigger fish. And like I said in the first post, I have yet to have a shimano drag system fail on me but people give credit to the Accurate bx2-30 for big fish.

#9 Anthony

Anthony

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

Could this high drags rating be just a manufacturers reference as when the reel it's half empty as the drags increases ? I don't know much about convt reels does the spinning reels drags theory apply to conventionals? I just recently got a Gorilla 12C . It should be a 40lb drag devil however I was not expecting more than 30ish if

#10 sharkfisher3300

sharkfisher3300

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

The question still remains, Talica 20ii or Accurate BX2-30

#11 d-a

d-a

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

The question still remains, Talica 20ii or Accurate BX2-30

Both will suit your needs. Choose which one has the best customer service for you.

d-a
The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.

#12 jurys in

jurys in

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:06 PM

talica

#13 sharkfisher3300

sharkfisher3300

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:21 AM

I've heard Accurates customer service is not always the greatest or will have the fastest turn time either.

#14 FishingAddict

FishingAddict

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:09 AM

I'd have to say definately the talica. Shimano's customer service is one of the best if not the best and the talica's anti-reverse is, at least from I've read, stronger than Accurate's. Seems like a win win situation to me with the talica.

#15 Maximum Anchorage

Maximum Anchorage

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:35 AM

Talica hands down, those bearings on the accurates are worthless. I just got a Talica 25 and will abuse it in February on the Royal Star. It held 800yds of 100lb JB hollow. I have seen the Talica 16 take numerous tuna on last years trip and in North Carolina without any issues.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users