- - - - -

Newbie Setup

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 stingray

stingray

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:59 PM

Hey guys,

I'm a novice Tuna fisherman and I have some questions. I'm looking for a popper/jigging setup to go on a 36-hour in November. This will be my second Tuna trip. I'm wanting to keep it relatively inexpensive. Let me know what you think about what I'm considering.

Reel:
EXC5000T
Bass Pro Shops Outdoors Online: Offering the best in Fishing, Hunting and Outdoor Products

I'm looking at a rod and I'm wanting to keep it under $250 for a rod/reel.

Let me know if you know of a better value or a rod/reel combo I could pick up cheap. Thanks.

#2 johndtuttle

johndtuttle

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

I think the reel choice is fine or go with a Shimano Stradic or Spheros whichever you think will meet your needs best. rod-wise that would leave about $100 in your budget, maybe someone has a good rec for you. maybe one of those vanstaal rods on sale at Tackledirect: Van Staal Spinning Jig Rods though that certainly would emphasize jigging rather than popping but by all reports are a terrific value at that sale price.

If you find the right rod at the right price get one that is specifically for jigging or for popping, imo. You are gonna need at least 2 eventually and if you try to get one for both you will just eventually never use it as compared to a dedicated jigger or popper that does one well.

#3 dragnbait

dragnbait

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

The Exceler 5000 would work, depending on the size of fish you are targeting. But i think a better choice would be the Shimano Spheros 14000 or 18000. I was a skeptic on the Spheros but my father just bought 2 8000's and i am quite impressed with quality/value. Anyway for the rod, there is always the Ugly Stik Tiger Lite jigging rod. 6'6" so it would be a little easier to cast than a short jig stick, but nowhere near the casting distance of a true popper. So there you go, reel, rod, and line for under 250. Just one option but i am sure there are more. Whatever you get, enjoy it.

#4 dragnbait

dragnbait

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

Sorry just did the math, reel and rod come to 250 exactly, still need funds for line.

#5 stingray

stingray

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:24 PM

I'm targeting fish <100# as I'm going with Capt. John. Haven't read any reports of them catching anything larger.

I think I might have found a Rod to go with too. TVS66MH
Shimano Trevala Butterfly Jigging Spinning Rods

Line: What do you guys recommend? 50lb or 80lb?
Offshore Angler Magibraid Spectra Fiber Fishing Line - 1200 Yards

Accurate AccuBraid 500yd Super Line

#6 dragnbait

dragnbait

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:28 PM

for 100 pound and under, go with 50 pound. If you hooked a 100 plus pound tuna on the MH Trevala you might be in trouble, I own one and it's a great rod, but that might be pushing it. Maybe if someone has a 100 pounder on a MH Trevala they can chime in.

#7 dragnbait

dragnbait

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:38 PM

Also,whatever reel you decide to get, change the drag washers to greased Carbontex washers.
SMOoOTH DRAG *** Can Stop Anything ***

#8 scubaarchery

scubaarchery

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:30 PM

Hey Stingray, I fish Capt John/New Buccaneer quite a bit. I use a Shimano TVS66MH Trevela spinning rod like you mentioned with a Penn 950 SSM and I use a Shimano Trevela TVS66MH conventional with a Newell P454/P550. I used the BPS Magibraid line but want to try Tuffline based on Spaniards recommendation. Magibraid wore my thumb out and does not cast as well as you need it to... Saltywater Tackle. If you are looking for a jigging pole, they work fine for that although there are definitely cheaper rods out there that may work fine. I bought mine new on e-bay cheaper than BPS sells them.

From a popping perspective, keep in mind that Capt. John does not really allow overhead casting, I have seen some of his regulars do it, so you may get away with it. You may have to cast underhand and it is hard to get a popper past the light line in the water. Try to get a spot on the bow so that you don't have overhead structure to deal with. I would recommend the Penn 850 SSM for a popper since it has a faster retrieve and is about $125 to $150 depending on where you get it.

Read the intro to popping on the site, it will tell you all you need to know :o).

Good luck and tight lines. let me know if you have any questions...

#9 day0ne

day0ne

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:23 PM

For $100 or so for a spinning Jigger, it's hard to beat the Hopper rods from FTU. I don't know where you are located but they have a web site

FTU - Hopper Jig Rods - Spinning

I also recommend the Spheros 14000 or 18000. The FB series are good but the FA (discontinued) is good also and cheaper

Shimano Spheros 14000FA Spinning Reel - eBay (item 190447419645 end time Sep-26-10 10:14:09 PDT)
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

#10 jig

jig

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

I have used the BPS magibraid in 65# and like it. But I switched over to JB hollow 60# because of its better versitility and not much more $$.

I have a spheros 14000FA with upgraded drags (used between $100-150) and a roddy gatortail from acadamy that's $40 (less during a rod riot). Thats around $200 for the setup. Caught lots of YFT on it.

My biggest gripe about Capt John is the overhand casting rule. I got my YFT on the last 36hr jigging. Casting poppers for YFT is a waste of time (unless there is WFO bite, rare on CJ because they really don't chum) if you can't cast beyond the lights. Of course, there seem to be more novice anglers on CJ and all told its probably a good rule on that boat.

#11 stingray

stingray

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:04 PM

Last time I went I caught a YFT. One of four. This might be my last trip on the Capt. John and next time might go on a private charter of some sort. Everything I've read on here says Big E is the way to go, just need to wait until next summer so I can get a job and afford it.

I'm still trying to decided between the EXC5000t and the Penn 950ssm. I've heard the newer Penn's are built in China and the quality isn't as good. I'll probably go with the FTW-Hopper Jig Rod. 6'6"

Line: I'll probably go with this Saltywater Tackle
Do you have any idea what color to get?

#12 jig

jig

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

I've seen many failures on the Penn 850-950. They are not the same as the older 8500-9500. Don't know about the EXC5000, but why would you go with a reel that doesn't seem to have a track record? Spheros is proven and similar price (even cheaper if used).

I think if you want an indictor line there's not a color choice, as the line itself is multi colored. Otherwise, I like the blue for casting and white for jigging, etc.

The hopper rod is fine.

Were you on the CJ 36hr earlier this month? We caught four YFT on it. Just curious.

#13 stingray

stingray

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:57 PM

Posted Image

This was summer 2009. I also caught a ling with a steel leader (yeah steel leader). Caught a 20-lb sow too. Caught the biggest Snapper and one of the four YFT. I consider myself pretty lucky. So I might not catch anything this time haha

And to answer your question about the shimano, I haven't been able to find one. As in not anything cheaper than about 170

#14 jig

jig

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:11 PM

Right here on this very forum.

http://www.360tuna.c...14000-fa-12401/

I think its a little high, but PM him and make an offer.

BTW, there's a lot of ways to improve your luck; halfway knowing what you are doing is the first. Sounds like your on the right track reviewing these forums and asking the right questions.

#15 Guest_red34_*

Guest_red34_*

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:46 PM

Worst thing you can do is rush into a combo. If money is tight, piece it together over time. It is far more expensive to replace stuff that was never up to par in the 1st place.

I would personally go with all used equipment. You will get a much better deal and the reels generally already have line on them. Spheros, the new Daiwa Saltist, and Quantum Cabos can all be had in the $150-200 range.

I personally like throwing lures more than jigging, but you can easily get a jigging rod under $100. The Quantum Boca, Ugly Stick's new jigging rod, and the Van Staal all come to mind. As far as popping, there are a ton of 7' med heavy rods that'll do.

You could very easily have one reel and 2 rods for $300-350 if you buy correctly.

#16 stingray

stingray

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

Right here on this very forum.

http://www.360tuna.c...14000-fa-12401/

I think its a little high, but PM him and make an offer.

BTW, there's a lot of ways to improve your luck; halfway knowing what you are doing is the first. Sounds like your on the right track reviewing these forums and asking the right questions.

I've sent him a pm earlier today. When I go next time, next year, I'll be able to afford a better setup.

#17 jig

jig

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:19 PM

Dude, dont worry about it. Get the best gear YOU can afford, and spend the $$ saved on fishing. Its always made me sad to see some young dude on a trip with high end gear that someone pretty much convinced him he had to buy, and then he can only afford one trip every other year. In fact, if money were an issue, I'd still be using my 20 year old Newell, mono and an Ugly Stik. Oh wait, I am still fishing my Ugly Stiks. :D Point is, don't feel that you have to have the best gear; you just need to make sure you have gear that is appropriately sized. I was catching plenty of tuna on my old gear jigging before I finally broke down and went 2spd and braid about 5 years ago. And I still catch plenty of YFT on my Spheros/Gatortail, even though I have been told plenty of times it won't work.

One of the BEST fishermen I have ever had the pleasure of fishing with was a regular on the BigE. He had an old beat to shit Newell on some beater rod that had a piece of PVC pipe on the handle to make it longer. He limited (and then some) on YFT every trip I was on with him, and usually did it before anyone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users