360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Rod Guides ?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mythosbeer 
#1 ·
What Guides do you guys like for spinning popping rods? Thanks

#3 ·
There are many good guides for popping rods and braid applications. The BMNAG and CMNAG are excellent guides for the money. The MNSG, ICMNSG, and EMNSG are even better that cost more. The difference is the rings and coatings. The MN stands for the frame shape.
Another and newer option is the KW frames. They are the tangle free guides. They have alconite and SIC rings and titanium frames. They are even more money but also great guides. You can not go wrong with any of these listed. Good Luck deciding.
Hint and my opinion, I have not found casting distance differences using the KW guides that some have claimed. Granted I did not do lots of testing but some testing. I also do not recommend using the 50 for the standard 8' popping rod. It is heavy and has made no difference for me.

#4 ·
I like Fuji mnsg bmnag or cmnag

Cant go wrong with any of them....

I like fuji guides ....

#5 ·
I went with Alps VX guides on my custom rod. Fuji are great, I really like the EMNSG guides but the Alps VX guide I got was a lot cheaper and looked even better.

The frame is marine grade stainless steel and the ring is Zirconia. In the ones I got the zirconia has a Titanium Nitride coating, what you see on line rollers, spool lips etc. on high quality reels.

In the Vickers hardness scale it's not as hard as the Silicaon Carbide rings but harder than Alconite. Considering Alconite is fine for braid and the fact reel components are made from Titanium Nitride you know it's a great product.

It also is gold. The silver and gold guide looks fantastic. I'm about the get another rod built and will be going Alps again.

#6 ·
I went with Alps VX guides on my custom rod. Fuji are great, I really like the EMNSG guides but the Alps VX guide I got was a lot cheaper and looked even better.

The frame is marine grade stainless steel and the ring is Zirconia. In the ones I got the zirconia has a Titanium Nitride coating, what you see on line rollers, spool lips etc. on high quality reels.

In the Vickers hardness scale it's not as hard as the Silicaon Carbide rings but harder than Alconite. Considering Alconite is fine for braid and the fact reel components are made from Titanium Nitride you know it's a great product.

It also is gold. The silver and gold guide looks fantastic. I'm about the get another rod built and will be going Alps again.

Where did you get the VX guides?

#7 ·
ALPS Freeway-Product-

Alps freeway is the Australian distributor. The guy who built my rod, Paul Herron, got them.

Not sure who is the US stocks them but they are great stuff. I think my next rod will have the gold frame balck ring TIGVXZG guides.

Nearly forgot to mention, the frame also has a profile that reduces possible line tangles so I didn't need to reverse the stripper guide.

#8 ·
X2 I personally dont see the point on the KW guides , like you said they are heavier that a MNSG to start with, ill go CMNAG great guide in quality , looks & $ wise. JMHO

They are also much larger. Most, if not in all cases, a 40 size KW will work in place of a 50 MNSG. I used a 30 size KW for my tuna sniper 40-60 for the stripper guide and I got better results than I did with the 40 MNSG. Not much better, but a couple yards further and I liked the height and ring size better. Just my opinion though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.